So what are you working on?
(09-22-2017, 06:37 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Hank, could you resaw that crotch into veneers and use them for the drawer fronts?

Yes, that's my plan. I haven't decided on the design of my gallery yet; but if it makes sense and looks good, I hope to use the crotch figure on the drawer fronts. I want to do some marquetry on the center door, but I think I can use the crotch for the rest.
If it is the standard slant front desk I was invisioning my thought was to use it for the main drawer fronts. If you shoot me a pm I have a nice pack of walnut burl I will send you that would look great for the interior.

Drawers like these
 photo P1040408r.jpg
These are my favorite threads!  So many creative people here.

I'm working on a live edge slab dining table, just fitted the dovetail keys (aka bowties) and added clear epoxy mixed with charcoal into the cracks.  

The second photo still has epoxy craters from bubbles.  It took me several rounds of epoxy filling to get the bubble craters off the surface and finally got a smooth finish just a few days ago.  

I'm working on the base now, going to ebonize some poplar.  I've been experimenting with iron acetate and quebracho bark.

[Image: 36544641734_89bf873942_k.jpg]
[Image: 37254354491_acbbb3b7b1_k.jpg][Image: 36544419594_f89efb8d5f_k.jpg]
Scaffold always check CL. It's one of those things only a few contractors want to own, so crazies like us buy it used, use it and sell it off. Usually so much of it in circulation at any one time it keeps the flippers from price gouging. IOW cheeeep, and for the contractor grade stuff, not that 5' tall toy stuff at HF.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(09-22-2017, 07:09 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: If it is the standard slant front desk I was invisioning my thought was to use it for the main drawer fronts. If you shoot me a pm I have a nice pack of walnut burl I will send you that would look great for the interior.

Drawers like these
 photo P1040408r.jpg

Dave,

The secretary is a beauty! I hope I can come close to it with my project. I can probably resaw my crotch piece to get enough for drawer fronts. Another interesting idea to think about. Thanks for the inspiration. I haven't settled on the interior design yet. When I do, I may PM you about the burl. Thanks for the offer.

Hank
Our kitchen cabs and staircase has been on hold all summer. Doing summer things.
Big garden and lots of canning. Now that the garden is about gone, we're getting a new metal roof starting tomorrow. Then have some other outside projects to do. A woodshed for the house, and finish up the shed addition where we want to store the mowers, tiller, and garden hand tools.

Then I need to get to get some framing put up for our up and coming solar panel project, which will be tied to the shop.

When it turns cold, i'll be back in the shop
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I am finishing up a headboard and footboard. I need to post some pictures.and some interior painting- put it off long enough. I have a table to build- snow ski tips for legs, whiskey barrel top and barrel rings. Should be fun. This goes with wine snow ski chairs I did earlier this year.

(09-21-2017, 09:16 AM)jteneyck Wrote: It's been pretty quiet on the project front around here lately.  So what are you working on?  Or are you too busy with other things to be in the shop?  Curious minds, mine, want to know. 

As for me, I've got a dozen things going on it seems.  I'm still finishing up the half bath project; got the new light, towel hook and T-paper holder installed this week.  I'm waiting on a piece of custom mirror to come so that I can finish the medicine cabinet, and then it will be done.  I also installed a tempering valve that's needed to regulate the radiant heat under the new bamboo kitchen floor.  I had forgotten how much water is in my boiler and radiator system.  Like many, I don't care for plumbing work, but I'm willing to do it because I'm cheap and it's not all that hard to do.  Sorry, don't mean to offend any plumbers on here.  Of course, it's nearly impossible to drain all the water out of any plumbing system and I had one joint I needed to solder that I just couldn't drain to the last drop.  So I used a trick I read/saw somewhere long ago and stuffed a piece of bread into the end of the pipe that was dripping.  The joint soldered up perfectly.  Whoever first thought of that idea gets a huge thank you from me. 

Another job I've wanted to do ever since I had a water leak a year ago is to install a motorized ball valve to shut off the water where it enters the house.  I finally bought the valve a week or so ago.  Yesterday and this AM I got the wiring installed.  It will be manually operated, with the on/off switch right next to the security system panel, so when you leave the house you arm the security system and flip the valve switch off, and do the opposite when entering the house.  Now I have to install the ball valve.  Oh great, more plumbing work. 

Other stuff going on, too, but I'm interested to see/hear what you all are doing.  Step right up.  Add some life to the place.  

John

I have a list if over 8 projects (all family stuff), but the biggest and #1 is redoing my kitchen. WOW!

Jim
Jim
(09-22-2017, 02:41 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Wow Hank, it looks like that walnut has some curl in it. Curly walnut is almost impossible to find. That was defiantly a score.

Dave I see both wide and curly often at Frank Miller lumber. Usually it's all ready for shipping, and all I have ever seen of it was heading to Fender guitars. I've never asked but have wondered if Fender didn't have a standing buy order, we'll meet your price. A few times it's been over 20" wide, and so curly I would easily call it fiddleback.

GW
(09-22-2017, 08:47 PM)Danny in Houston Wrote: added clear epoxy mixed with charcoal into the cracks.  

Danny, do you have a mix ratio, or just add till it looks good? Plenty of dust in the bottom of the bag, but if not enough, tips on getting chunk to smooth dust would be appreciated. Smacking it around just doesn't sound like it would make dust. I suppose a fine chop, cheap coffee grinder maybe?

GW