Corsair saws?
I found a stack of 5-6 old saw blades in my late father's garage. They have little tooth wear but no handles on any of them. A few of them said Corsair and were made in NY. I can't find much on them Corsair online. Is that a decent brand worth making handle for and into users. Is it good steel that will take and keep an edge?

Logo looks similar to this.

[Image: 361995557268-3.jpg?v=1496268126]
[quote pid='7527011' dateline='1506118644']
I found a stack of 5-6 old saw blades in my late father's garage. They have little tooth wear but no handles on any of them. A few of them said Corsair and were made in NY. I can't find much on them Corsair online. Is that a decent brand worth making handle for and into users. Is it good steel that will take and keep an edge?

Logo looks similar to this.

[Image: 361995557268-3.jpg?v=1496268126]
[/quote]

I don't see why not, steel is likely ok, better if taper ground but even then. See handle patterns here:

http://www.tgiag.com/saw-handle-scans.html
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
The manufacturer is Great Neck. You can find more searching for that.

Over the last 30 years or so I never remember Great Neck as the mark of quality for tools. I do not know what their quality was before then. They have been around for almost 100 years (at least according to their website).

In any case, as long as they are straight, sharpen one up, put a handle on it and see how well it cuts.
(09-22-2017, 07:25 PM)Admiral Wrote: I don't see why not, steel is likely ok, better if taper ground but even then. See handle patterns here:

http://www.tgiag.com/saw-handle-scans.html

Thanks Admiral! I was guessing at my own pattern but this is far superior.  It might become a Disston Corsair Hybrid Backsaw. 

BTW I still use and love the restored #5 i bought from you years ago. It opened my eyes up what well tuned plane can do.
(09-22-2017, 10:43 PM)smithgl12 Wrote: BTW I still use and love the restored #5 i bought from you years ago. It opened my eyes up what well tuned plane can do.

Aww, thanks for the compliment. 
Blush
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis