Henry Disston and Sons saw vise
A local estate sales place - they bring things to their shop - has a "Henry Disston and Sons" saw vise on sale, $35.  I should have taken the camera, but thought it would have a number; if my description isn't enough, I'll go back with a camera, I guess.

The jaws are part of a squared-off U-shaped casting, and the cam-action lever seems to distort the casting to clamp the saw.  On the back side of the back jaw are two horizontal holes, one near each end of the jaw, as if to hold something.  The U-shaped casting is pivoted from a fairly heavy bench clamp.

I already own a saw vise, can't recall maker, of fairly heavy construction and operated by a lever, designed for bolting to a 2x6 or similar board that is then clamped in the bench vise.  Does this Disston sound like something sufficiently more nifty that I should consider forking over for it?
I picked up a handful of saw vises to educate myself. The one I kept and used had a ball adjustment that seemed to work best for me. I could rotate and bend in all directions easily and then clamp it in place. I found the fixed base ones less friendly.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(09-22-2017, 05:54 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: A local estate sales place - they bring things to their shop - has a "Henry Disston and Sons" saw vise on sale, $35.  I should have taken the camera, but thought it would have a number; if my description isn't enough, I'll go back with a camera, I guess.

The jaws are part of a squared-off U-shaped casting, and the cam-action lever seems to distort the casting to clamp the saw.  On the back side of the back jaw are two horizontal holes, one near each end of the jaw, as if to hold something.  The U-shaped casting is pivoted from a fairly heavy bench clamp.

I already own a saw vise, can't recall maker, of fairly heavy construction and operated by a lever, designed for bolting to a 2x6 or similar board that is then clamped in the bench vise.  Does this Disston sound like something sufficiently more nifty that I should consider forking over for it?

From your description, it sounds like a Disston 3D saw vise. These are very good, sturdy vises and is my favorite. The price is not spectacular, but fair if it is in good condition.

I have been using mine for several years without issue. I replaced the clamp with an aluminum piece that allows me to stand more comfortably while working.

[Image: 17452923355_b5282d3a43_c.jpg]
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
(09-23-2017, 07:01 AM)enjuneer Wrote: From your description, it sounds like a Disston 3D saw vise. These are very good, sturdy vises and is my favorite. The price is not spectacular, but fair if it is in good condition.

I have been using mine for several years without issue. I replaced the clamp with an aluminum piece that allows me to stand more comfortably while working.

[Image: 17452923355_b5282d3a43_c.jpg]

Yep, that's the vise.  Intact with original clamp, except one of the wings on the nut to tighten the clamp is missing.  I think I'll let it age a little longer and then see if they'll bargain.
Sounds like a great deal to me!  Of course I have about 7 or 8 and don't need anymore but when I first started out working with saws...I couldn't find one for less than $50.  Of course, if you aren't hard pressed to get one then it makes sense to wait and see if someone who needs a vise takes it.

good luck,
Don
(09-24-2017, 10:43 PM)DonSlaughter Wrote: Sounds like a great deal to me!  Of course I have about 7 or 8 and don't need anymore but when I first started out working with saws...I couldn't find one for less than $50.  Of course, if you aren't hard pressed to get one then it makes sense to wait and see if someone who needs a vise takes it.

good luck,
Don

Agreed. I've never found one in the wild, but if I did at that price, I would snatch it up right away. I still don't have one, but from what I've heard, check the corners of the bends very carefully for cracks.

- Mark
(09-26-2017, 07:20 PM)Treebeard Wrote: Agreed. I've never found one in the wild, but if I did at that price, I would snatch it up right away. I still don't have one, but from what I've heard, check the corners of the bends very carefully for cracks.

- Mark

Since I splurged on the TFWW Gramercy Tools saw vice, my 3 is gathering dust, I'll have to dig it out and find it a new home.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Sorry, not much help....since all I have is an old Wentworth No. 1

Needs a bigger piece of 2x stock...
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(09-26-2017, 08:07 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Sorry, not much help....since all I have is an old Wentworth No. 1

Needs a bigger piece of 2x stock...
Cool

I like those Wentworths, worthy vices, enough that the TFWW vice is based on the same design. Newer materials make the TFWW vice much more stout, incredible clamping force, but it comes at a hefty price, but for me it's worth it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-26-2017, 08:25 PM)Admiral Wrote: I like those Wentworths, worthy vices, enough that the TFWW vice is based on the same design. Newer materials make the TFWW vice much more stout, incredible clamping force, but it comes at a hefty price, but for me it's worth it.

I often kick myself for not getting in on the $125 price when the TFWW vise was first introduced.