Stanley #72 in need of help
The mailman brought me another basket case this week. It is a #72 with toasty wood and some serious user mods.

[Image: DSCN3944.jpg]

As you can see, the knob is missing and the tote is pretty chewed up. But the real problems are below. Previous owner did a real number on the frontpiece and blade.

[Image: DSCN3945.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3946.jpg]

Here is a view from the topside.

[Image: DSCN3947.jpg]

So it is a cosmetic mess and needs some real help. My current plan is to derust the body and paint it. I think I can regrind and save some of the blade. I am sure there is replacement wood somewhere around here. Once done, I guess this blemished plane will become my permanent user. The mode seem to be mostly cosmetic. Stay tuned for more.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
So at halftime I removed the notch and ground the blade square. The first order of business is to grind it flat at 90 degrees. Next comes the bevel, followed by honing.

[Image: DSCN3954.jpg]

The tote needs refinishing and the knob needs to be fitted but at least they work enough to try out the plane.

[Image: DSCN3956.jpg]

It cuts a chamfer just right. Now for some more cleaning.

[Image: DSCN3955.jpg]
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I have a low-angle jack, No. 62, on which someone put quite a bit of effort into filing the back of the adjustable shoe, where it forms the front of the mouth, into a forward slant, thus preventing the plane from ever having a close mouth.  It's become a parts donor.

I'm curious, Jim, what benefit a 72 offers over just a bench plane, other than the obvious repeatability of the chamfer?
(09-23-2017, 02:32 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: I'm curious, Jim, what benefit a 72 offers over just a bench plane, other than the obvious repeatability of the chamfer?

I use the #72 and the #65 chamfer shave frequently as chamfers make a nice touch on furniture projects and on outdoor projects. I made my wife a handrail out of 2x10 PT lumber and used the #65 to take down the sharp edge before I painted it. Both of these tools work well and the #65 will get into some really tight spots. I think anyone who uses care can make a decent chamfer with a #3 bench plane or a block plane. But I like to work quickly with not so much care. The chamfer planes are person proof--just set it to depth and ride one flat side until the plane quits cutting. I get uniform chamfers with little effort.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(09-23-2017, 05:50 PM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: I use the #72 and the #65 chamfer shave frequently as chamfers make a nice touch on furniture projects and on outdoor projects. I made my wife a handrail out of 2x10 PT lumber and used the #65 to take down the sharp edge before I painted it. Both of these tools work well and the #65 will get into some really tight spots. I think anyone who uses care can make a decent chamfer with a #3 bench plane or a block plane. But I like to work quickly with not so much care. The chamfer planes are person proof--just set it to depth and ride one flat side until the plane quits cutting. I get uniform chamfers with little effort.

Looking good so far!   I'm a sucker for basket-case jobs that come out working again.

Chris
Chris
The big hole in the sole really hindered blade setting. In this plane, you need the straight edge of the sole as a reference point for setting both the depth and the alignment of the blade. I found some steel and made a new one.

[Image: DSCN3983.jpg]

I attached it with screws. The PO had thoughtfully drilled and tapped two perfect 6-32 holes. The screw heads are not a bother because I never do chamfers that wide.

[Image: DSCN3987.jpg]

The plane, of course, it totally jacked up. The original frame broke and was welded at the 45 degree point. The frontpiece has a new sole. The blade is modified from a block plane. The lever cap is from a #78. The tote is repaired. The front knob is rosewood but was from a transitional (?). I drilled it for a proper nut.

[Image: DSCN3990.jpg]

But in spite of all this it looks OK.

[Image: DSCN3991.jpg]

And it works like a charm. Long and thin shavings.

[Image: DSCN3992.jpg]

Now I have a user I can keep in the shop.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Jim, I love the way you bring old tools passed over by most back to life! Good in you!