Secret Santa 2017
Greetings all!

You all have been waiting, anxiously twiddling your thumbs in anticipation of the announcement of the vaulted "Secret Santa 2017". Well, the time is nigh, so grab your magnifying glass, pop on your Sherlock Holmes hat and start honing your investigative skills to find "the" gift.

Here's how it works:

To participate,  send a PM to Santa's Elves indicating that you wish to participate including your e-mail address. Posting to this thread does not count, only a PM with an e-mail works. Once your PM is received, for which you will get a receipt, a link to the form to fill out will be forwarded. This is to protect the form's link from web crawlers and possibly getting spambots filling in the entries. All communication after the initial PM will be via e-mail. So watch your spam lists after you send your PM.

Santa's elf is going to be out of town the first half of October and will have no innerweb access, we are going to stretch out the signup window a bit. Entries will be accepted from today, September 24th through Wednesday, October 28th. Details of your recipient will be sent by November 5th. After the closing date of October 30th, entries will still be accepted for the late arrivals until November 15th. Be forewarned however, no guarantee is made that we will be able to match you up with someone, in which case you'll have to wait until next year. 

Here are the rules:
  • If you sign up, please follow through on your commitment.
  • If you are going to be late with your gift, let me know and we can notify your recipient.
  • If you need to back out completely, let me know as soon as possible so we can find another Santa for your recipient.
  • If possible, please use a tracking number when mailing. It might come in handy if someone doesn't receive their gift.
  • If you have posted less than 10 messages on Woodnet, send me a PM in addition to filling out the form you are sent.

Gift guidelines and advice:
  • Please send a real gift, not a gift card or certificate.
  • Read their old posts to get an idea of what they like to do and what they might need or want.
  • See if they participate on other forums.
  • Take a look at wish lists on various tool websites.
  • If you have a member who does not post a lot and are having a tough time with ideas or you find that your person has everything, maybe go outside the box. There are universal gifts that every woodworker can use.
  • If you are one of those folks who doesn't post a lot or have the entire Lee Valley catalog in your shop, try leaving some bread crumbs to help your Santa out.

Most of all, have fun! Any issues, let me know.

And thanks to Arlin for volunteering to be the silent Elf.

Happy sleuthing!
Santa's Elves
In, of course!

Thanks for doing this.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I'm doing this a little different this year in that I created a Woodnet user named Santa's_Elves and there is an e-mail associated with that user.

All e-mail correspondence will be via Santa's_Elves PM and or the e-mail.  And yes, I realized that the initial posting sent a PM to me, but I fixed that....  
Rolleyes
chris
(09-23-2017, 06:18 PM)doobes Wrote: I'm doing this a little different this year in that I created a Woodnet user named Santa's_Elves and there is an e-mail associated with that user.

All e-mail correspondence will be via Santa's_Elves PM and or the e-mail.  And yes, I realized that the initial posting sent a PM to me, but I fixed that....  
Rolleyes

You the Man Chris
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I was thinking about this the other day - I'm in!!
Okay folks, one week in and we have 10 responses. Seems a bit lean! Git 'r done!
Santa's Elves
(09-30-2017, 05:59 PM)Santa Wrote: Okay folks, one week in and we have 10 responses. Seems a bit lean!  Git 'r done!

As a former Head Santa, I'd like to say this: if you are hesitating for any reason -- jump in! It's fun. For anyone at any woodworking level.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(09-30-2017, 05:59 PM)Santa Wrote: Okay folks, one week in and we have 10 responses. Seems a bit lean!  Git 'r done!

I am surprised that there are so few of us so far.

Maybe telling us that the elves would be incommunicado for the next couple of weeks removed some urgency to get started.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I've got backup scheduled to send out responses to those who want to play!

Don't wait until it's too late!
Santa's Elves
(10-01-2017, 09:04 AM)Santa Wrote: I've got backup scheduled to send out responses to those who want to play!

Don't wait until it's too late!

Last year was my first time.  It's a great experience. Don't miss out.