Diamond Lapping stone question
Ok, it's getting close to Christmas list time I'm trying to come up with things. One item I've thought of is a diamond lapping/slipstone. I've found 2 that look good, but with a vast price difference and am wondering if anyone has used both to let me know if the expensive one is worth it?

They are:
from Craft Supply for $30: https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/96/...ning-Stone

From Alan Lacer for $88: http://stores.alanswoodturningstore.com/...-600-grit/

Thanks for the help.

Steve
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
I have the Lacer stone and I highly recommend it.  The Craft Supplies stone is simply a flat stone.  Fine for skews or convex surfaces, but the Lacer slipstone allows you to hone the inside curve of gouges, and that makes it more versatile.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(09-24-2017, 01:05 PM)sniper Wrote: Ok, it's getting close to Christmas list time I'm trying to come up with things.  One item I've thought of is a diamond lapping/slipstone.  I've found 2 that look good, but with a vast price difference and am wondering if anyone has used both to let me know if the expensive one is worth it?

They are:
from Craft Supply for $30: https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/96/...ning-Stone

From Alan Lacer for $88:  http://stores.alanswoodturningstore.com/...-600-grit/

Thanks for the help.

Steve

I do not have Alan's but some credit card ones and some round ones that work for us pretty well but I really like this Spyderco Ceramic File Set with Pouch ones the best

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002I...UTF8&psc=1

When I bought them they were only $24
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I have Alan Lacer's stone and use it all the time. The rounded edges are great for getting in the groves of the gouge. I have had it for several years.
I bought one of the sharpening stones from Lee Valley but only use it for kitchen knives.

I think they are overkill for most turning tools except the skew, which can be sharpened using less expensive methods.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(10-04-2017, 07:05 AM)Ed Eldridge Wrote: I have Alan Lacer's stone and use it all the time. The rounded edges are great for getting in the groves of the gouge. I have had it for several years.

I have 2 of Alan Lacer's "stones." I picked up one of them when he was one of the headliners at the VA Woodturning Symposium some years back. The other one, my sister & BIL got for me at that same symposium. The second one was very handy when the first one decided to hide for a while.
Winkgrin

I use it on the skews routinely and on the gouge flutes just before a finish cut.

Woodturning Wonders has a CBN version of the Lacer stone that is also 600 grit. I have not seen one in person yet. It is currently on sale for $75.

I have some of the cards and the mini-cards on a stick that I use occasionally but, at the moment, I can not remember what I use them to sharpen.
Sigh
Blush
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(10-06-2017, 10:46 PM)iclark Wrote: I have 2 of Alan Lacer's "stones." I picked up one of them when he was one of the headliners at the VA Woodturning Symposium some years back. The other one, my sister & BIL got for me at that same symposium. The second one was very handy when the first one decided to hide for a while.
Winkgrin

I use it on the skews routinely and on the gouge flutes just before a finish cut.

Woodturning Wonders has a CBN version of the Lacer stone that is also 600 grit. I have not seen one in person yet. It is currently on sale for $75.

I have some of the cards and the mini-cards on a stick that I use occasionally but, at the moment, I can not remember what I use them to sharpen.
Sigh
Blush

Thanks for all the inputs. I've put Alan's stone on my wish list but if I don't get it for Xmas, I might pick up the WW one at the Tennessee Woodturners symposium in January.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
(10-06-2017, 10:46 PM)iclar Wrote: I have some of the cards and the mini-cards on a stick that I use occasionally but, at the moment, I can not remember what I use them to sharpen.  
Sigh  
Blush

Router bits?
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(10-07-2017, 10:01 AM)sniper Wrote: Thanks for all the inputs.  I've put Alan's stone on my wish list but if I don't get it for Xmas, I might pick up the WW one at the Tennessee Woodturners symposium in January.

If you get the WW one in January, please do a review of it here. I am sure that we would all be interested.

At some point in the future, I expect that my 2nd Lacer stone will go to one of my nieces. With any luck, the other niece and the BIL are each going to want one as well.

I keep saying that I will make it to the TN symposium of of these years, but it is not going to happen this year. After 5 winters in Bleaksburg, it does give me pause before driving to TN in the winter. That, and they keep scheduling professional conferences that I should attend in FL that time of year. This year it is SciTech in Kissimee. Maybe I can do a driving tour of woodworking/woodturning symposia when I retire.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

(10-07-2017, 02:48 PM)SteveS Wrote: Router bits?

I appreciate the thought  but not router bits and not auger bits or Forstner bits. I haven't sharpened bits or drills yet. They are on my ToDo list. It might be the miniature turning tools with the interchangeable handles. There was also a time when both of the Lacer stones were hiding and snickering.

I suspect that, the next time that I open that drawer in the rolling tool box, I am going to spend a long time just standing there and holding them to try to get the muscle memory to trigger a neuron.
Sigh

Some days the wonder years are more challenging than others.