Another chuck question
I just ordered a Grizzly G0766  to supplement my Jet midi. I still have to decide on a chuck. Will the Nova SN2 be a good choice? They are on sale at Rockler.

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
Be aware that you're stepping onto yet another slippery slope. I put SN2 chucks on both lathes and got several other sizes of jaws to cover the size range. Now I want more chucks so I don't have to change jaws. Oh, the horror of having to change 8 little screws for the next piece I want to turn!!!

Talk about first world problems. I do like my SN2 chucks though.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
(09-27-2017, 07:01 AM)SceneryMaker Wrote: Be aware that you're stepping onto yet another slippery slope.  I put SN2 chucks on both lathes and got several other sizes of jaws to cover the size range.  Now I want more chucks so I don't have to change jaws.  Oh, the horror of having to change 8 little screws for the next piece I want to turn!!!  

Talk about first world problems.  I do like my SN2 chucks though.

I feel your pain,I go through the same thing with my Oneway Talon,those darn little screws.I want another Talon as well.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I don't have a problem with changing jaws, it's a little down time to reflect on the mistakes I made on the piece up to that point. 
Laugh 

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
(09-26-2017, 07:18 PM)scpapa Wrote: I just ordered a Grizzly G0766  to supplement my Jet midi. 

I think you have this statement reversed...congrats on the new lathe!

It is a slippery slope - I started with a SuperNova but then switched over to Hurricane Chucks. I have both the HTC-100 and HTC-125's.

Mike
(09-26-2017, 07:18 PM)scpapa Wrote: I just ordered a Grizzly G0766  to supplement my Jet midi. I still have to decide on a chuck. Will the Nova SN2 be a good choice? They are on sale at Rockler.

Rick

I'm happy with my SN2s, I have two now, one with cole jaws permanently attached so I don't need to find the little screw that fell into the pile of shaving when changing jaws. Got the second one here on woodnet for a good price. The one thing I'd suggest if you go with these chucks is that you buy the 100mm jaw set to handle bigger bowl blanks on your new lathe. I use a 3 or 4 inch tenon to hold bigger blanks more securely than the jaws(2") that come with the chuck.
(09-27-2017, 07:01 AM)SceneryMaker Wrote: Be aware that you're stepping onto yet another slippery slope.  I put SN2 chucks on both lathes and got several other sizes of jaws to cover the size range.  Now I want more chucks so I don't have to change jaws.  Oh, the horror of having to change 8 little screws for the next piece I want to turn!!!  

Talk about first world problems.  I do like my SN2 chucks though.

I have 6 chucks. I have a problem
Laugh  but I wouldn't sell any, Most of mine are grizzly H6267, last one I picked up I paid $70 for, don't tell the wife
Laugh
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(09-26-2017, 07:18 PM)scpapa Wrote: I just ordered a Grizzly G0766  to supplement my Jet midi. I still have to decide on a chuck. Will the Nova SN2 be a good choice? They are on sale at Rockler.

Rick

Sure.  The 2" jaws will hold fine inside a mortise, but aren't much as a tenon holder.  For that, I recommend the 75mm jaws with the dovetail to hold outside.  If you're doing a lot of bowls, recommend a pin chuck, or at the least, pin jaws as well.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.

Rick

I went with the Oneway Talons and Strongholds for my chucks.  I like the quality of the Oneway chucks.  I, too, dislike changing jaws, so I have four chucks for each of my lathes.  I know that I have a problem with acquiring chucks.  On the other hand, when I go to that great turning studio in the sky, my daughter will have a monster yardsale.
Joe
I use a Hurricane 125.
Don