Another chuck question
If I were in need of a new chuck I'd go with the Easy Wood chuck. The quick change jaws would make multiple chucks less desirable. 

I have an Axminster and a Vicmarc chuck and they are very good. Personally I wouldn't buy a Chinese made chuck.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(09-27-2017, 03:37 PM)SteveS Wrote: If I were in need of a new chuck I'd go with the Easy Wood chuck. The quick change jaws would make multiple chucks less desirable. 

I have an Axminster and a Vicmarc chuck and they are very good. Personally I wouldn't buy a Chinese made chuck.

For me I started out with PSI Titinium chuck with all the do dads and found out later that it just did not fit the bill of what I needed.  So then I got a Nova with the tommy bars and that worked pretty good but hated trying to tighten them up all the time with two hands.  I then got a cheap Oneway Strong hold and like it for bowl but did not like the threaded bar that tightened it up.  So I sold that to another club member which I got the chuck before him at the club meeting.

Now I really feel I have found the very best chuck ever..  It is made by Axminister in England and it is all stainless steel and the back in closed so no chips get in the back of it like the oneway.  Plus they have a ton of jaws for them and it is all sold by Lee Valley.  I have 3 of the big ones called Evolution and it also has an indexing system on the back of the chuck.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.as...9091,69183

Here are some of the different Jaws that they sell and the one I love the best is the O'Donnell Spigot Jaws & Inserts

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.as...9091,69184

And this is about a third of them and Axminister themselves sell a ton more in their website.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks for all of the great replies and explanations. I bought the Nova SN2 with 100mm jaws.
I'll try to post pictures when I get it mounted on my new lathe.

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
(10-01-2017, 07:06 PM)scpapa Wrote: Thanks for all of the great replies and explanations. I bought the Nova SN2 with 100mm jaws.

Rick

I think that you made a good choice.

When you add more jaws, you do not want the Nova 35mm dovetail jaws. Their tenon grip is the same size as the 25mm jaws.

The Record jaws fit and work well on the Nova chucks and the 35mm Record jaws are sized the way that the Novas should have been.

FWIW, one of my shop rules is that I do not mix lefty-tighty and lefty-loosy chucks in my shop. One should snug up the chuck every so often during turning (especially with green wood) and turning the chuck key the wrong way because you forgot which way is tight on that chuck is not good for my blood pressure (or the piece if it is bouncing on the floor).

I do not have a chuck problem. I have a chuck storage problem.

Things get even more interesting when you have 3 different drive spindle sizes in your shop.
Sigh
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I don't know if the Grizzly lathe has reverse or not, but I haven't read any response regarding reverse turning. My Nova G3 has set screws to hold the chuck to the spindle. Is this the same thing for the chucks mentioned here? Is it a consideration in choosing a chuck?
(10-04-2017, 06:57 AM)Ed Eldridge Wrote: I don't know if the Grizzly lathe has reverse or not, but I haven't read any response regarding reverse turning. My Nova G3 has set screws to hold the chuck to the spindle. Is this the same thing for the chucks mentioned here? Is it a consideration in choosing a chuck?

Reverse wasn't a consideration in my decision on the lathe, but would be a plus.

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
(10-04-2017, 07:03 AM)scpapa Wrote: Reverse wasn't a consideration in my decision on the lathe, but would be a plus.

Rick

For what?  You left-hand dominant?  In which case, certainly.  since most turners end up sanding with discs, rotating on some sort of drill or shaft, no advantage whatsoever.  The old flatwork trick of sanding one direction then the other is not applicable to orbital work, and impossible on most turnings.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(09-27-2017, 07:06 AM)chips ahoy Wrote: I feel your pain,I go through the same thing with my Oneway Talon,those darn little screws.I want another Talon as well.

Mel

+1
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(10-01-2017, 07:06 PM)scpapa Wrote: Thanks for all of the great replies and explanations. I bought the Nova SN2 with 100mm jaws.

Rick

Here are the pictures I promised.
Rick
MAGA!!
(10-05-2017, 06:47 PM)scpapa Wrote: Here are the pictures I promised.
Rick

I am so glad you got it and really looking forward to seeing what you turn with it.
Yes
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.