General 250 TS Info?
Anyone have any info on a General 250 ts?
Found one for sale.
Question
Is it supposed to have a 2 hp 1800 rpm motor? seems like it would loose a lot of torque, stepping up to 3500 rpm blade speed or so.
Any other info/opinions are appreciated.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Here is a riving knife equipped new model 250.
https://www.ruralking.com/10-13a-motor-t...stand.html

Then the really old one which I suspect is what is for sale.
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/d...x?id=32356
Lee
(09-27-2017, 08:35 AM)Pirate Wrote: Question
Is it supposed to have a 2 hp 1800 rpm motor? seems like it would loose a lot of torque, stepping up to 3500 rpm blade speed or so.

Remember that an 1800 rpm motor with 2 rated hp will output twice the torque of a 3600 rpm motor with the same 2 hp rating (70 in-lb vs 35 in-lb). 

Using the belt drive to double the arbor speed (for example) to 3600 rpm will, of course, halve the torque at the arbor, but you're starting with twice the available torque, so in the end, you get the same thing.

Mechanical shaft power is the product of torque and speed, so for the same power, as speed goes down, torque goes up and vice-versa.

So 1800 rpm motors are not unusual for older design saws and other wood machines, like the original Unisaw.  And you're not losing anything with an 1800 rpm motor.
Cool

Edit: I should add that, as a general rule, 1800 rpm motors cost more than 3600 rpm motors of the same output rating, and 1200 rpm cost more yet, but not as much as 900 rpm, and so on. Torque equals dollars in almost everything mechanical (speed isn't as expensive), and a 2 hp 1200 rpm motor will have a larger frame size than a 2 hp 3600 rpm motor. So a good reason for high-speed motors on high-speed machinery is lower motor cost as well as smaller drive parts, specifically the motor sheave since it can be smaller.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(09-27-2017, 08:35 AM)Pirate Wrote: Anyone have any info on a General 250 ts?
Found one for sale.
Question
Any other info/opinions are appreciated.

I think you are talking about this vintage of TS, which would have been a Canadian made TS. I have a Canadian 350, and you can get it from my cold dead hands. I was always a PM66 user, and I like General 350 much more. I know little about this saw though, and would suggest OWWM for getting line info but say nothing about one being available, those skunks will buy it right from under you as you load it into your truck
Big Grin

[Image: 233-A.jpg]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW