Best place to buy Byrd heads (both 8" jointer and 20" planer)
I believe I am ready to make the leap.  Been thinking about this for a couple years on the jointer but put it off.  Two recent changes have made me decide it is time.
  • Bought a used 20" planer with very worn out knives.
  • Had the opportunity to use a friends jointer and planer with helical heads and can't believe the results.
Anyone know where the best place to purchase these is, considering customer service and cost.  I thought there was a regular on this forum (Holbren?) that sold these and I'd prefer to buy from them if they are part of WoodNet.

For those who have replaced their jointer/planer heads.  Did you replace the bearings as well?  I don't believe either the jointer or planer have enough hours on them to wear out the bearings but if it would simplify the installation and add a little bit of protection from having future performance issues, I'm all for it.

Thanks in advance,
Wes
I would buy from Holbren if you decide to go with Byrd.

IME the Grizzly indexable cutterheads provide very comparable results. I've owned both Griz and Byrd cutterheads and would say you can't really go wrong with either. I'm running a Griz cutterhead in my 8" jointer and a Byrd in the 20" planer. I also, had a 15" planer that had the Griz head.

I think changing the bearings is a good move especially on the planer. It's not a ton of money to replace bearings and pulling them off of the old shafts could damage them. The jointer bearings are fairly easily accessible but the planer bearings aren't and that's why I say to swap them while you are in there.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
I replaced my cutterhead on my lunchbox planer a couple of years ago with a Byrd sHelix head.  I got mine from Holbren.  You really won't find any discounts on Byrd heads, unless things have changed.  Mine came with new bearings.  As others have said, bearings are relatively inexpensive, so if you find a head that doesn't include the bearings, go ahead and order a new set and do it when you make the change.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Got my jointer Byrd head from Holbren.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Another happy Holbren customer. 

Yes, replace the bearings. It's an inexpensive safety investment. Accurate Bearings is a good source.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(09-28-2017, 08:37 PM)Wood-chip Wrote: I believe I am ready to make the leap.  Been thinking about this for a couple years on the jointer but put it off.  Two recent changes have made me decide it is time.
  • Bought a used 20" planer with very worn out knives.
  • Had the opportunity to use a friends jointer and planer with helical heads and can't believe the results.
Anyone know where the best place to purchase these is, considering customer service and cost.  I thought there was a regular on this forum (Holbren?) that sold these and I'd prefer to buy from them if they are part of WoodNet.

For those who have replaced their jointer/planer heads.  Did you replace the bearings as well?  I don't believe either the jointer or planer have enough hours on them to wear out the bearings but if it would simplify the installation and add a little bit of protection from having future performance issues, I'm all for it.

Thanks in advance,
Wes

Save your money and get the grizzly equivalents. I went through this game about 6 years ago...and got them in my planner and jointer after I crunched the numbers. 

I run at least 2500 BF through my planner and jointer a year. I turn the cutters once a year......probably could go 3000 BF a side if I wanted to. 

For me the cut is more than satisfactory. I look at the spiral heads as something to help on figured materials, and to extend the life of the cutter surface (they hold their edge much much much longer than straight knives). I dont look at a planer as a finish tool....so if there is a difference (which I cant see a difference) your going to sand or scrape anyway before finishing.....its not worth the difference in price IMHO.

But if you have to have the Byrd's.....I second Holbren....only place I buy router bits from anymore. Great to deal with.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Thanks all for the kind words.

Wes, send me an email to sales@holbren.com with your machine models and I'll get you a quote.  The 20" is in stock, jointer depends on model.

Thanks,
Brian
(09-28-2017, 10:37 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Save your money and get the grizzly equivalents. I went through this game about 6 years ago...and got them in my planner and jointer after I crunched the numbers. 

I run at least 2500 BF through my planner and jointer a year. I turn the cutters once a year......probably could go 3000 BF a side if I wanted to. 

For me the cut is more than satisfactory. I look at the spiral heads as something to help on figured materials, and to extend the life of the cutter surface (they hold their edge much much much longer than straight knives). I dont look at a planer as a finish tool....so if there is a difference (which I cant see a difference) your going to sand or scrape anyway before finishing.....its not worth the difference in price IMHO.

But if you have to have the Byrd's.....I second Holbren....only place I buy router bits from anymore. Great to deal with.

I'd counter to say it is worth the price to me since I am supporting US manufacturing rather than the Chinese communist party.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I bought the spiral head for my PM100 here.  I don't know if they're the cheapest, but didn't even know to look when I bought it.  I really don't care.  Total price was about $850 for the 12" head (that includes replacement bearings from Accurate).  Like you, I found the difference to be amazing.

I'm tempted to have one made for my 8" American Woodworker jointer, but have dreams of a 12" in the coming years and don't want to buy twice.
Semper fi,
Brad

Holbren.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.