Best place to buy Byrd heads (both 8" jointer and 20" planer)
(09-28-2017, 08:37 PM)Wood-chip Wrote: I believe I am ready to make the leap.  Been thinking about this for a couple years on the jointer but put it off.  Two recent changes have made me decide it is time.
  • Bought a used 20" planer with very worn out knives.
  • Had the opportunity to use a friends jointer and planer with helical heads and can't believe the results.
Anyone know where the best place to purchase these is, considering customer service and cost.  I thought there was a regular on this forum (Holbren?) that sold these and I'd prefer to buy from them if they are part of WoodNet.

For those who have replaced their jointer/planer heads.  Did you replace the bearings as well?  I don't believe either the jointer or planer have enough hours on them to wear out the bearings but if it would simplify the installation and add a little bit of protection from having future performance issues, I'm all for it.

Thanks in advance,
Wes

Another vote for Brian! Bought a Byrd head for my 8" Shop Fox jointer - smooth as silk!

Doug
(09-28-2017, 10:37 PM)packerguy® Wrote: I dont look at a planer as a finish tool....so if there is a difference (which I cant see a difference) your going to sand or scrape anyway before finishing.....its not worth the difference in price IMHO.

I don't either, as I plane and scrape all surfaces anyway, and honestly, I see no real disadvantage to me in sticking with knives. I'll sharpen em once every 6-8 months, which reminds me as I've got two small chips leaving some lines.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Awesome customer service from Brian at Holbren. Best price as a bonus.
(10-03-2017, 08:29 PM)Admiral Wrote: I don't either, as I plane and scrape all surfaces anyway, and honestly, I see no real disadvantage to me in sticking with knives. I'll sharpen em once every 6-8 months, which reminds me as I've got two small chips leaving some lines.

Depends on what species of lumber you use. One of the great advantages of the Byrd head is the great reduction in tear out in wood prone to it such as quilted BLM or harder exotics that have a lot of reversing grain.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Having both, I'm with Packer Guy, both are excellent, as it is German steel on the Grizz cutters. It's such a global economy anymore I don't get too hung up on smaller $$$ purchases. Now cars I buy American made every time, they cost more $$$$ and I like Ohioans getting work even more, that is why LOML and I buy Honda. Within an easy drive I can count a number of Honda plants, employing Ohio workers, none from the Big 3 anymore, gone to Mexico they did.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Ended up buying from Holbren.  While I waited 3 months for the original from Grizzly, I ordered a Byrd head from Holbren on Monday and just got the delivery notice from UPS that was delivered to my front porch. Can't wait to get home and very impressed with Holbren.

I'll let you all know how the install goes but I'm now waiting on bearings.
Bought mine from Holbren years ago. 20" planer and 8" jointer heads for less than $1000.
VH07V  
Use Holbren, they used to give Woodnet member discount of 10% (maybe 15%)