Files for vintage saw jointer
There's a local estate sale place with lots of tools.  Their prices are a touch spendy, but I've found the employee I can haggle with.  They've got a vintage saw jointer there right now (or did when I was in last), looking generally like this:
[Image: saw_jointer_e.jpg]
It's got a file, condition uncertain.  Is there a file made these days that will fit this type of jointer?
You won't have a problem finding a replacement file. None of the dimensions are critical except thin enough to fit in the slots.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(09-29-2017, 12:02 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: There's a local estate sale place with lots of tools.  Their prices are a touch spendy, but I've found the employee I can haggle with.  They've got a vintage saw jointer there right now (or did when I was in last), looking generally like this:
It's got a file, condition uncertain.  Is there a file made these days that will fit this type of jointer?

Any flat file should fit in there fine.  Yes, they are still made today.

Incidentally, you can cut a slot in a square block of wood and achieve the same result... albeit it, not as pretty.
(09-29-2017, 12:02 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: There's a local estate sale place with lots of tools.  Their prices are a touch spendy, but I've found the employee I can haggle with.  They've got a vintage saw jointer there right now (or did when I was in last), looking generally like this:

A 6 inch mill smooth or mill person file would work fine in these. Unless you're filing a lot of saws, even a new Nicholson should be okay here.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
I have a couple of those. They work fine, but I kind of prefer to do that job with a larger single cut file just held in hand. It's not too hard to stay square enough by eye and it's quicker with a bigger file. You can see what you're doing a bit better. Also, with that jointer device not only are you restricted to small files but you don't get to use the full width of it- the teeth get a dull stripe down the center while the edges are unused.

It's a trade-Off, but I fall on the side of without is better.
Occasional musings on my blog:
bridgerberdel.wordpress.com
I like a wood jointer better. When the file wears down, just cut a new jointer. No wood? Take out a wall stud. Nobody sees them anyway. 

Oh, BTW, donate all those saw vises you don't need. ('Nother thread.) Or, post one to the Eek bay for $3000. Then, donate, claim $3k value on taxes. You might reach your itemized deductions threshold, and possibly, earn a savings of $35 in tax refund for the effort.
(10-01-2017, 11:54 AM)hbmcc Wrote: I like a wood jointer better. When the file wears down, just cut a new jointer. No wood? Take out a wall stud. Nobody sees them anyway. 

Oh, BTW, donate all those saw vises you don't need. ('Nother thread.) Or, post one to the Eek bay for $3000. Then, donate, claim $3k value on taxes. You might reach your itemized deductions threshold, and possibly, earn a savings of $35 in tax refund for the effort.

And a visit from an IRS auditor. 
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
If I remember correctly, a common 6" mill file will fit right in there.  If you have a Dremel, you can score the file with a cutoff wheel and snap the tang off.
Thanks, all.  I did wind up buying it, with a file in it (of the type that would originally have come with it, simple rectangular shape) with good teeth on the top side; but it's good to know that I'll be able to replace the file if I wear it out.