My Experience with Epoxy Finishing
I posted awhile back about epoxy finishes for a dining room table.  I thought I'd post the results of my efforts and a few lessons learned.

Based on Dave Diaman's recommendation, I selected this finish: US Composites Kleer Koat Table Top

This finish comes with excellent, detailed instructions which should be followed RELIGIOUSLY.  Do not try and scrape the last bits out of the mixing bowl.  It won't dry properly.  Don't watch YouTube videos and mix and match applications instructions.  Also, epoxy finishes make an unholy mess.  I thought I was prepared for this, but it really is something.  It went through the tarp I laid down.  I ruined a pair of sneakers having to walk in the messy run off.  You've been warned!

Epoxy finishes go on like nothing else.  You basically pour on what seems to be much more finish than you need, and roughly smear it over the piece.  It will then flow and settle into a glass like finish.  This was my second mistake, trying to skimp with the amount.  You need to go all in and follow the quantities recommended in the instructions.  Yes, its "wasteful", but better than having to order more like I did!

You'll need to "pop" air bubbles either with a heat gun or torch.  I found that I could let the bubble form for 10 minutes or so, pop them, walk away for 10 minutes, pop some more, take another break, for about 3 or 4 rounds until the epoxy sets up.

In my application, the epoxy flowed over the top and dripped off the underside making major stalactites underneath.  These I was able to belt sand off.

So here is the distressed chestnut top as I purchased it:

[Image: 37310568320_ef6cd8e874_z.jpg]

You can see the deep cracks and flaws that make me leery of just using poly.  The whole thing was splintery as well.  I selected the epoxy to fully stabilize the piece.  I put a seal coat on the underside and used masking table to keep the epoxy for pour through the many flaws.

And here is the final product:

[Image: 36859094524_1a725d3dec_z.jpg]

Note, I did not use any stain. I don't know why the table darkened so much. (I didn't make the chairs)
(10-08-2017, 07:46 AM)badwhiskey Wrote: I posted awhile back about epoxy finishes for a dining room table.  I thought I'd post the results of my efforts and a few lessons learned.

Based on Dave Diaman's recommendation, I selected this finish: US Composites Kleer Koat Table Top

This finish comes with excellent, detailed instructions which should be followed RELIGIOUSLY.  Do not try and scrape the last bits out of the mixing bowl.  It won't dry properly.  Don't watch YouTube videos and mix and match applications instructions.  Also, epoxy finishes make an unholy mess.  I thought I was prepared for this, but it really is something.  It went through the tarp I laid down.  I ruined a pair of sneakers having to walk in the messy run off.  You've been warned!

Epoxy finishes go on like nothing else.  You basically pour on what seems to be much more finish than you need, and roughly smear it over the piece.  It will then flow and settle into a glass like finish.  This was my second mistake, trying to skimp with the amount.  You need to go all in and follow the quantities recommended in the instructions.  Yes, its "wasteful", but better than having to order more like I did!

You'll need to "pop" air bubbles either with a heat gun or torch.  I found that I could let the bubble form for 10 minutes or so, pop them, walk away for 10 minutes, pop some more, take another break, for about 3 or 4 rounds until the epoxy sets up.

In my application, the epoxy flowed over the top and dripped off the underside making major stalactites underneath.  These I was able to belt sand off.

So here is the distress chestnut top as I purchased it:

[Image: 37310568320_ef6cd8e874_z.jpg]

You can see the deep cracks and flaws that make me leery of just using poly.  The whole thing was splintery as well.  I selected the epoxy to fully stabilize the piece.  I put a seal coat on the underside and used masking table to keep the epoxy for pour through the many flaws.

And here is the final product:

[Image: 36859094524_1a725d3dec_z.jpg]

(I didn't make the chairs)

Stunning!  I'm not one for high gloss finishes, but that looks incredible compared to what you started with, and worth all the trouble.  Very, very impressive.  I'm sure the Mrs. is happy, too. 

Did you stain it along the way?

John
What stain did you use before the epoxy?

It looks great!

Duke
How tough is a finish like that, would the bottoms of coffee mugs or china scratch it?

Looks fantastic, BTW.
Thanks all.

I'm not really a fan of high gloss either, but it seemed like the only solution to save the top.  And yes, the Mrs. is super happy.  This table was promised over a year ago, so I was glad to get it off my to do list.

No stain.  Not sure why it changed color so much, but I'm very happy with the result.

Hopefully its durable.  It's designed for bar tops.  We'll find out.  Big downside is there is no fixing it if it gets damaged.  Its kind of an all or nothing finish.
I would hope that designed for bar tops would mean it can take some abuse.

Duke
(10-08-2017, 05:00 PM)badwhiskey Wrote: Thanks all.

I'm not really a fan of high gloss either, but it seemed like the only solution to save the top.  And yes, the Mrs. is super happy.  This table was promised over a year ago, so I was glad to get it off my to do list.

No stain.  Not sure why it changed color so much, but I'm very happy with the result.

Hopefully its durable.  It's designed for bar tops.  We'll find out.  Big downside is there is no fixing it if it gets damaged.  Its kind of an all or nothing finish.

that table is stunning.  fantastic job.

which stain did you use? 

-- dz
(10-09-2017, 09:18 PM)zaret Wrote: that table is stunning.  fantastic job.

which stain did you use? 

-- dz

I didn't use any stain.  I don't know why it darkened so much, but I'm very happy with the outcome.  I edited my original post to add that detail.
Thank you
It looks great.  

I wonder if sanding the surface with some 800 grit or 1,200 grit would give a satin finish.  

You might want to make a test piece to see if it does.  If the epoxy scratches in the future that might be a road map out of that predicament.  Or possibly you can polish it smooth again.

My main objection to epoxy, and heavy applications of poly is that the surface seems plasticky.  I refinished some table tops for a commercial restaurant using 4 coats of oil based poly.  It stood up well, but the thickness of the finish made it look less like wood and more like plastic.  

For your application this seems like an ideal finish.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.