Really Shellac???
Thanks guys. I appreciate your input. I used it as a sealer and it worked for my purpose. It sealed things prior to priming and I had no problems. (Just wish I had not agreed to help this lady out with "Her mother's old chest". It's just a piece of in-expensive junk and my best efforts aren't going to change that.)

R.
(10-11-2017, 08:21 AM)robert146 Wrote: Thanks guys.  I appreciate your input.  I used it as a sealer and it worked for my purpose.  It sealed things prior to priming and I had no problems.  (Just wish I had not agreed to help this lady out with "Her mother's old chest".  It's just a piece of in-expensive junk  and my best efforts aren't going to change that.)

R.

The road to someplace is paved with our best intentions.  Or something like that.

Good luck with the polishing...
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(10-10-2017, 09:32 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Yeah, I've read the data sheet and can, too, and you are right, it doesn't say dewaxed nor does it say it can be used as a bond coat.  But it works, at least for me.  And the OP's original question was whether the rattle can really contains shellac.  Of that I am sure.  

John

Update.  I looked at my can of Zinsser Bulls-Eye spray shellac today, which is a couple of years old.  On the back of the can it says it is wax free and can be used as a sealer under polyurethane.  So I went to Zinsser's website to see what it says.  There is one Tech Data sheet for all the Bulls-Eye products, and that TDS says Bulls-Eye shellac is not recommended as a sealer under polyurethane. 

Either the product in the can ain't what it used to be or Zinsser has omitted posting a separate TDS for the rattle can product.  I'm going to check what it says on a new can when I'm at HD tomorrow.  

John
(10-11-2017, 07:12 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Update.  I looked at my can of Zinsser Bulls-Eye spray shellac today, which is a couple of years old.  On the back of the can it says it is wax free and can be used as a sealer under polyurethane.  So I went to Zinsser's website to see what it says.  There is one Tech Data sheet for all the Bulls-Eye products, and that TDS says Bulls-Eye shellac is not recommended as a sealer under polyurethane. 

Either the product in the can ain't what it used to be or Zinsser has omitted posting a separate TDS for the rattle can product.  I'm going to check what it says on a new can when I'm at HD tomorrow.  

John

Yea, I dont know. 

What I do know is I use it for my first coat on EVERYTHING. I spray WB poly and lacquer and brushed poly over the top with no issues. 

In the last 12 months, ive sprayed more than 140 cans of the stuff as a "sealer coat" so either my experiences are a complete coincidence, or it works. 

Like anything in finishing, staining, dying, glazing, etc......DO A TEST BOARD! I dont know how many times ive done things that others say "do it this way" and did the opposite and it worked fine (sometimes this doesn't work, but thats why there was a test board) There is more than one "right" way to skin a cat.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

OK, I can bring an end to this story.  I bought a new spray can of Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac today at HD.  It's the same as the old can, and clearly says on the back that it is 100% wax free and can be used as a sealer for polyurethane.  Having only one TDS for all Bulls Eye products leads one to think otherwise.  

John
(10-12-2017, 04:26 PM)jteneyck Wrote: OK, I can bring an end to this story.  I bought a new spray can of Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac today at HD.  It's the same as the old can, and clearly says on the back that it is 100% wax free and can be used as a sealer for polyurethane.  Having only one TDS for all Bulls Eye products leads one to think otherwise.  

John

And tonight I will sleep better.  Good to know!
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin