Pellet Grill Themps
Several months ago purchased Treager elete pro pellet grill.   I select a desired temperature but it always falls short by close to 20 or 25 deg.  throwing off all the cook time from their recipe book.  I have talked to customer service several times and they sent replacement digital controls for the unit but its still the same. Another call and I was advised to raise the chimney to full height.  Still same.  Looking a little deeper I see they say the temperatures are based on a standard day, 72 deg outside and zero wind.  Again yesterday it was 70 deg. no wind and always the same result.  Is this common with all?  If so then I will just suck it up and advance my digital selection next higher and hope that will give the inside temp I need.  My lid fits with no leaks and I do use the probe for internal temps.  Any comments or recommendations?
Bill
(10-10-2017, 10:36 AM)Bill Bob Wrote: Several months ago purchased Treager elete pro pellet grill.   I select a desired temperature but it always falls short by close to 20 or 25 deg.  throwing off all the cook time from their recipe book.  I have talked to customer service several times and they sent replacement digital controls for the unit but its still the same. Another call and I was advised to raise the chimney to full height.  Still same.  Looking a little deeper I see they say the temperatures are based on a standard day, 72 deg outside and zero wind.  Again yesterday it was 70 deg. no wind and always the same result.  Is this common with all?  If so then I will just suck it up and advance my digital selection next higher and hope that will give the inside temp I need.  My lid fits with no leaks and I do use the probe for internal temps.  Any comments or recommendations?
Bill
According to this reviewer the controller will hold the temperature within ± 15 degrees--a 30 degree range.  It also says it has a maximum temp of 450 degrees.  

How are you checking the accuracy of the grill?  Are you certain that the thermometer you are using to check it is accurate?

https://www.bbqguys.com/bbq-learning-cen...ger-select
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Your oven on your house equally suffers from accuracy. Also, where the temp probe is located matters. The probe can be accurate for the location it's at, but the rest of the grill can be cooler or hotter.

Basically, deal with it. Learn the personality of your grill and work with it. Either add a time bias or a temperature bias. Your choice.

Heck, what would you ever do with an old fashioned weber charcoal grill?

For reference, my ceramic smoker runs cool, but ends up with substantially shorter cook times than literature suggests. Kinda nice problem to have, actually. My meat is always done early.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I am reminded of how I taught my younger brother to set the timing on his car when doing a tune up.  I said keep advancing the timing until it starts to "ping" then back off a bit.

At one point he was too busy to do his own tune up and he brought the car to the Ford dealer.  The dealer used a timing light and set the timing to specifications.  

My brother was so upset with the performance that the following weekend he re-set the timing the "old fashioned way".  

So I suggest you reset your grill the old fashioned way.  Make the necessary adjustments and either remember them or write them down in the recipe book.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(10-10-2017, 10:36 AM)Bill Bob Wrote: Several months ago purchased Treager elete pro pellet grill.   I select a desired temperature but it always falls short by close to 20 or 25 deg.  throwing off all the cook time from their recipe book.  I have talked to customer service several times and they sent replacement digital controls for the unit but its still the same. Another call and I was advised to raise the chimney to full height.  Still same.  Looking a little deeper I see they say the temperatures are based on a standard day, 72 deg outside and zero wind.  Again yesterday it was 70 deg. no wind and always the same result.  Is this common with all?  If so then I will just suck it up and advance my digital selection next higher and hope that will give the inside temp I need.  My lid fits with no leaks and I do use the probe for internal temps.  Any comments or recommendations?
Bill

For example the built in thermostat probe will read for example 230 Deg. I placed two separate probes that came with the unit on the empty grill in various locations and probe #1 would read perhaps 226 and the other maybe 228 deg.  This is with the cooking desired temp set for 250.  Calling for 275 and when stable I read 245 or so.  Oh well, looks like I will have to make my own adjustments along the way
Thanks for the reply
Bill
(10-10-2017, 04:00 PM)Bill Bob Wrote: For example the built in thermostat probe will read for example 230 Deg. I placed two separate probes that came with the unit on the empty grill in various locations and probe #1 would read perhaps 226 and the other maybe 228 deg.  This is with the cooking desired temp set for 250.  Calling for 275 and when stable I read 245 or so.  Oh well, looks like I will have to make my own adjustments along the way
Thanks for the reply
Bill

I have a smaller model. I have never used the temp probes anywhere other than in the meat, and find cooking to the desired internal temp is the best way, not necessarily the time and cooking temp.

My cooker is set under the patio, on the southeast corner of the house. The temp gauge on the control panel seldom reaches the temp selected on the dial. I do not use their recipes, as I have ways to cook how I like.

Our dual fuel(gas with electric assist) kitchen oven also does not reach the selected temp on the controls. I either have to alter the desired cooking temp up or down by 25° to 50° to get recipe compliance.
Bill

I have always heard that complaint with Treager's. This is why I got a Camp Chef pellet grill and have no issues with temp it is always within 5 degrees regardless of outside temp. From what I understand it is due to the old stye controller they use. The Camp Chef uses a PID controller.

If you google it you will find many people have converted their Traeger's with aftermarket controllers.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
(10-10-2017, 04:15 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: I have a smaller model. I have never used the temp probes anywhere other than in the meat, and find cooking to the desired internal temp is the best way, not necessarily the time and cooking temp.

My cooker is set under the patio, on the southeast corner of the house. The temp gauge on the control panel seldom reaches the temp selected on the dial. I do not use their recipes, as I have ways to cook how I like.

Our dual fuel(gas with electric assist) kitchen oven also does not reach the selected temp on the controls. I either have to alter the desired cooking temp up or down by 25° to 50° to get recipe compliance.

Mr McReynolds
The placement of the two probes was only to determine the temp throughout the grill rather than just where the factory probe is secured.   Naturally when cooking the probe goes into the item. 
Rolleyes
(10-10-2017, 06:59 PM)Bill Bob Wrote: Mr McReynolds
The placement of the two probes was only to determine the temp throughout the grill rather than just where the factory probe is secured.   Naturally when cooking the probe goes into the item. 
Rolleyes

Yes, I understood that. My point was, given the inconsistency in the control panel temp versus the actual in grill temp(which you were trying to measure), knowing that amount makes little difference for me.

I don't use their recipes, so don't deal with that problem---which I agree is a problem.

In experimenting, I have found the optimum method for my style. Apply dry rub of choice, then smoke  for a period(depending on outside temp and meat temp) usually about 1&1/2 to 2 hours, then wrap in foil with apple juice and cook at 325 until the internal meat temp is at least 180°-220°(depending on the type/cut of the meat). Then let rest (still covered) for 20-30 minutes.
(10-10-2017, 08:19 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Yes, I understood that. My point was, given the inconsistency in the control panel temp versus the actual in grill temp(which you were trying to measure), knowing that amount makes little difference for me.

I don't use their recipes, so don't deal with that problem---which I agree is a problem.

In experimenting, I have found the optimum method for my style. Apply dry rub of choice, then smoke  for a period(depending on outside temp and meat temp) usually about 1&1/2 to 2 hours, then wrap in foil with apple juice and cook at 325 until the internal meat temp is at least 180°-220°(depending on the type/cut of the meat). Then let rest (still covered) for 20-30 minutes.
Yes, that is a good plan.  On your grill what temp do use for the smokeing?  Are you able to get a decent "smoke ring" on the meat?
Regards, Bill