Pellet Grill Themps
(10-10-2017, 08:19 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Yes, I understood that. My point was, given the inconsistency in the control panel temp versus the actual in grill temp(which you were trying to measure), knowing that amount makes little difference for me.

I don't use their recipes, so don't deal with that problem---which I agree is a problem.

In experimenting, I have found the optimum method for my style. Apply dry rub of choice, then smoke  for a period(depending on outside temp and meat temp) usually about 1&1/2 to 2 hours, then wrap in foil with apple juice and cook at 325 until the internal meat temp is at least 180°-220°(depending on the type/cut of the meat). Then let rest (still covered) for 20-30 minutes.
I do similar with an initial cook time of 2 1/2 hours (until the ribs bones start pulling out and the rib ends are out of the meat)  at 250. Wrap in foil 1 1/2. open up and place back in smoker for 5 - 10 min then BBQ sauce  for 20 min. Let rest for 20 min. Cut and  Eat!

My smoker is natural gas with a chip box and water tray.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
Smoked 2 large chicken breasts, 8 chicken thighs, and a slab of pork ribs today.

Fully thawed, dry rub at 7AM, let set til 8AM.

Smoke setting is about 155°---Smoke setting on control panel. Hickory pellets from Traeger.

Put the chicken on the top grill, ribs on main grill. Smoked for about an hour and fifteen minutes.

Wrapped the chicken(on a cookie sheet w/foil under and over---added 1/2 cup apple juice)

Wrapped the ribs on a cookie sheet(same over/under and apple juice).

Raised the cooking temp to 225°, chicken until internal temps reached 200° for half hour. Removed, rested wrapped for 20 minutes, devoured two thighs!

Left the ribs for 3 hours, internal temp was about 210°. Removed, rested for 20 minutes, devoured half the ribs---with LOML having some. She ate them as is, said did not need BBQ sauce.
Yes
Big Grin Meat actually fell off the bone.

I checked the temp range in the control readout---averaged 222° on a 70° day.

Got the pork ribs from Guaranteed Foods. Kinda strange looking. Were wing shaped(much like a delta wing shape) with the center slit almost 3/4 of the width. Came folded in half in the freezer wrap. So far, these are the best ribs yet.