1950s DeWalt MBF--free
Ok, here's the deal. I picked this up several years ago for $50 and a helluva long drive and dismantled it into largeish chunks with an eye to rebuilding/restoring it. Ran when I bought it. Needs at a minimum a switch and probably power cord; probably bearings--I have no opinion. and of course a decent blade. It has the sander and planer attachments, at least that's what they appear to be.

After tripping over it and moving it out of the way for the last 5 or 10 years, it occurs to me that I'm not going to ever use it. I have a couple of perfectly accurate alternatives for crosscutting boards and I am more and more concerned about DC and it seems that a RAS is something of a challenge to effectively collect dust while cutting. It's just not going to fit into my shop configuration or work patterns.

So I propose to give this away to whomever makes the most appealing or interesting case for why they should be the lucky recipient. Sorry this isn't The Millionaire, it's just a 60 year old RAS but what the heck? Let's have some fun. 

Rules:

1. Local pickup. I live about an hour east of Seattle--and I'm not picking this boat anchor up again if I don't have to. So you have to come get it. You can win if you live in Tuscon or Taiwan, but you still have to come get it.

2. Contest will run until Nov. 1. If you guys lame-out I will take this offer over to SMC or somewhere else. So there. If there's no great entry I'm taking my ball and going home.

3. To enter: post a reply on THIS thread with your best pitch. No PMs. I want our laundry to flap out in the breeze for all the world to see. Your entry can contain photos, sonnets, links to youtube videos, anything short of an outright bribe. 

4. The winner will have to swear on the grave of his/her great-great-great-uncle Horatio to rebuild/restore/put the thing back together and actually use it and post a picture of it cutting in this thread. Before I'm dead. Which could be any time now. 

5. Any question of rules will be decided by me in probably a completely arbitrary, thoughtless, and self-centered manner. 

I'll take some pictures after I vacuum all the spider webs off it and put them up here. 

Let the begging commence! 

JB
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" Arthur 'Big Guy' Carlson
(10-11-2017, 06:15 PM)Johnbro Wrote: Ok, here's the deal. I picked this up several years ago for $50 and a helluva long drive and dismantled it into largeish chunks with an eye to rebuilding/restoring it. Ran when I bought it. Needs at a minimum a switch and probably power cord; probably bearings--I have no opinion. and of course a decent blade. It has the sander and planer attachments, at least that's what they appear to be.

After tripping over it and moving it out of the way for the last 5 or 10 years, it occurs to me that I'm not going to ever use it. I have a couple of perfectly accurate alternatives for crosscutting boards and I am more and more concerned about DC and it seems that a RAS is something of a challenge to effectively collect dust while cutting. It's just not going to fit into my shop configuration or work patterns.

So I propose to give this away to whomever makes the most appealing or interesting case for why they should be the lucky recipient. Sorry this isn't The Millionaire, it's just a 60 year old RAS but what the heck? Let's have some fun. 

Rules:

1. Local pickup. I live about an hour east of Seattle--and I'm not picking this boat anchor up again if I don't have to. So you have to come get it. You can win if you live in Tuscon or Taiwan, but you still have to come get it.

2. Contest will run until Nov. 1. If you guys lame-out I will take this offer over to SMC or somewhere else. So there. If there's no great entry I'm taking my ball and going home.

3. To enter: post a reply on THIS thread with your best pitch. No PMs. I want our laundry to flap out in the breeze for all the world to see. Your entry can contain photos, sonnets, links to youtube videos, anything short of an outright bribe. 

4. The winner will have to swear on the grave of his/her great-great-great-uncle Horatio to rebuild/restore/put the thing back together and actually use it and post a picture of it cutting in this thread. Before I'm dead. Which could be any time now. 

5. Any question of rules will be decided by me in probably a completely arbitrary, thoughtless, and self-centered manner. 

I'll take some pictures after I vacuum all the spider webs off it and put them up here. 

Let the begging commence! 

JB

Bump--almost 300 views and no replies? Doesn't anyone want a free MBF? Somebody say something...
Hard to get to Seattle from NY. 
Winkgrin

It would be cool to have otherwise.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
If you put "Seattle" in the topic, it might help. Also, since it is posted here where sales are not allowed, it looks from the topic as if you got it for free. Posting in S'nS with the topic "Free Dewalt RAS in Seattle" would probably get you the appropriate attention.
(11-05-2017, 11:26 AM)Alan S Wrote: If you put "Seattle" in the topic, it might help.  Also, since it is posted here where sales are not allowed, it looks from the topic as if you got it for free.  Posting in S'nS with the topic "Free Dewalt RAS in Seattle" would probably get you the appropriate attention.

Thanks Alan, will do.
(11-05-2017, 11:26 AM)Alan S Wrote: If you put "Seattle" in the topic, it might help.  Also, since it is posted here where sales are not allowed, it looks from the topic as if you got it for free.  Posting in S'nS with the topic "Free Dewalt RAS in Seattle" would probably get you the appropriate attention.

Alan

Guys have done this before of giving things away and having fun at the same time.

To bad I am in Iowa.  You did not say the blade size of the blade.

Also I think you mean it is a DeWalt AMF RAS

I might also say the same thing in S&S to see who might like it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(11-06-2017, 04:05 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Also I think you mean it is a DeWalt AMF RAS

Nope, an example of an MBF.

Doug
Hmmmm . . . looks like Ward Cleaver's RAS.

(He had one in his garage in the early episodes of Leave It To Beaver.
Yes )
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(11-08-2017, 10:00 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Hmmmm . . . looks like Ward Cleaver's RAS.

(He had one in his garage in the early episodes of Leave It To Beaver.
Yes )

Cool trivia....I think he had a pack of cigarettes in his shirt pocket too. Ward never smoked, but I guess Hugh might have between takes....
(11-08-2017, 12:40 AM)Tapper Wrote: Nope, an example of an MBF.

Doug

Doug, look closely at the badge on the arm, just in front of "Dewalt" you'll see the AMF logo. They had bought out Dewalt and added their logo to the name...I think that's what Arlin was referring too. (Just trying to clarify.)

Tom, as a viewer of the Beaver show I had never noticed that saw in the garage...very interesting. Didn't notice the pack of cigarettes either, maybe because back then it was a very common sight (when they weren't rolled up into a tee shirt sleeve).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.