What's a good quality portable table saw?
Someone gave me a portable Black and Decker 8" table saw that's proven to be very useful at times. But it's lacking some parts, and so I was thinking of getting another. I need something compact enough that I can put away when I'm not using it because I don't have a shop--I have to set it up on a table in the back yard. Is there a good saw, either new or vintage, that might suit my needs but also be of decent quality?
(10-13-2017, 02:17 PM)overland Wrote: Someone gave me a portable Black and Decker 8" table saw that's proven to be very useful at times. But it's lacking some parts, and so I was thinking of getting another. I need something compact enough that I can put away when I'm not using it because I don't have a shop--I have to set it up on a table in the back yard. Is there a good saw, either new or vintage, that might suit my needs but also be of decent quality?

Have a look at the Rigid R4513,It has two wheels and folds up to fit against a wall when not in use.I have had one for almost 15 years and love it.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I will 2nd the Rigid. I got mine on sale for $299. It usually goes on sale closer to Christmas. I was patient and got mine last year, and it has worked very well.
shifty
I can only speak from experience. I prefer the Dewalt version. If I remember correctly, there are usually 3 different models at any given time. The easiest way to tell them apart is the rip capacity. The least expensive has a 20" rip capacity. The middle of the bunch has 24 1/2" rip capacity. The high end has 32 1/2 ". I have the older version of the middle one and love it. I had a Ridgid saw and found it very dangerous. It was not the model previously mentioned. I got extremely lucky and found the Dewalt on Craigslist for $200 and it came with the slide out extensions on the side and back, these go for about $70 and are well worth the money. The next thing to consider is a stand for your saw, some have a stand, some don't. I wish they still sold the aftermarket stand that I bought, but the manufacturer quit producing it. Now, where you use your saw may mean that you don't need a stand, that would save some money if one does not come with the new saw.

Like I said, I am only speaking about the saws that I have used. I know other brands are highly recommended but I have never used one.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I had several portable saws(cheap ones) in my remodeling business and used some really cheap ones on Habitat builds. They all broke in one way or another, from heavy use or being transported in my tool trailer.

I have a Rigid TS2424(contractor saw in my shop. The portable Rigid mentioned in previous posts is similar, just direct drive rather than belt drive. Rigid is a good saw.

I finally bought a Porter Cable job site saw(this was over 10 years ago) and still have it.

Similar/updated model
(10-13-2017, 02:17 PM)overland Wrote: Someone gave me a portable Black and Decker 8" table saw that's proven to be very useful at times. But it's lacking some parts, and so I was thinking of getting another. I need something compact enough that I can put away when I'm not using it because I don't have a shop--I have to set it up on a table in the back yard. Is there a good saw, either new or vintage, that might suit my needs but also be of decent quality?

One more option.

Doug
Any chances that a track saw would meet your needs?  They're handier that a table saw for some tasks and would be easy to store when you don't need it.  Here's a review of six of them.  It is a few years out of date and there may be better ones available now, but it will give you an idea of what's out there.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/track-saw-review/

Phil
(10-15-2017, 11:11 PM)Phil S. Wrote: Any chances that a track saw would meet your needs?  They're handier that a table saw for some tasks and would be easy to store when you don't need it.  Here's a review of six of them.  It is a few years out of date and there may be better ones available now, but it will give you an idea of what's out there.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/track-saw-review/

Phil

Those track saws are cool, but not really what I need. I've narrowed my focus to two small vintage saws: a Delta Homecraft 34-500, a small 8" saw, and a Shopmaster TA-900, another old 8" saw. They were recommended by guys over on the Old Woodworking Machines website. The key is that they have tilting arbors, not tilting tables like many of the older small saws. If anyone knows of one in my region (Chicago), let me know. I looked at a Craftsman 103 companion saw over the weekend--a beautiful little cast iron thing--but it doesn't' have a tilting arbor--the whole top tilts. It's a little ungainly.
Surprisingly, I had an old Ryobi I had bought for small work around the house where I could move it around outside while working. I even used it to cut up cardboard from equipment and pallets, even limbs. I gave that poor saw a going over and it came back for more. I finally gave it to someone in real need of one two years ago and she reports it's still working fine.

Had it been a delta or ridgid, I'd bet I'd be saying the same about those brands. Look for one with the options or functions you like at a price you agree with and I'd also bet you'll be happy.

You could also buy another used one like the one you have real cheap and use it for spare parts.
(10-16-2017, 08:28 AM)overland Wrote: Those track saws are cool, but not really what I need. I've narrowed my focus to two small vintage saws: a Delta Homecraft 34-500, a small 8" saw, and a Shopmaster TA-900, another old 8" saw. They were recommended by guys over on the Old Woodworking Machines website. The key is that they have tilting arbors, not tilting tables like many of the older small saws. If anyone knows of one in my region (Chicago), let me know.

How about a road trip?  Or perhaps you know someone near this one.   Asheville NC. craigslist.

https://asheville.craigslist.org/tls/d/d...44586.html
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary and those who do not.