13 inch planer
My older Delta 13 inch planer is ready for the trash.  I am thinking of replacing it with a WEN 13 inch three blade planer.  Has anyone used that one?  What are you recommendations for a planer for a hobbyist?
Dewalt 735 is the best that is offered for a portable.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

(10-15-2017, 04:49 PM)paarker Wrote: Dewalt 735 is the best that is offered for a portable.

+1 with none even in close competition, even their own DW734. Surprising that much of their line has turned to junk products, yet the planers are still looking strong against the competition. However if you have 220 you may find a used 15" 3hp for not much more than the DeWalley.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Have to agree with the other two, Dewalt 735!
If I were looking for a new bench top planer it would be a DeWalt 735. If that wasn't available my next choice would be a Ridgid planer. As mentioned earlier, you might be able to pick up a good used 15" for about the same as a new 735. Bench tops are typically very noisy requiring hearing protection. My 15" Jet is very quiet even when running wood.

Best.
When it comes time to replace my planer, I'll go with a stationary. 110V draws too much power and they are too loud. 13" is also too limiting.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
What's wrong with the Delta 13" planer?
I also have a Delta 13" planer, and wouldn't go back to a portable.
They're not disposable planers like the portables. 
I would easily spend a few hundred in parts for my Delta, before going back to a portable.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(10-17-2017, 07:07 AM)Pirate Wrote: What's wrong with the Delta 13" planer?
I also have a Delta 13" planer, and wouldn't go back to a portable.
They're not disposable planers like the portables. 
I would easily spend a few hundred in parts for my Delta, before going back to a portable.

I think that the Delta 13" planer that he's talking about is the benchtop portable (22-580?), whereas you're referring to the older 13" stationary.
Bob
For a hobby shop? -- the Makita 2012NB. It's a highly-rated, quality planer, is relatively quiet and it will do all you need it to do. Read the reviews. It's been said that bench-top planers are loud, Loud, LOUD or LOUD. The Makita is loud. The Dewalt 735 is LOUD.
(10-17-2017, 12:13 PM)BobW Wrote: I think that the Delta 13" planer that he's talking about is the benchtop portable (22-580?), whereas you're referring to the older 13" stationary.

I guess one way is to keep buying cheap machines. I bought the stationary 13" Delta decades ago. It is a great machine.
Wood is good.