13 inch planer
(10-16-2017, 07:30 PM)SteveS Wrote: When it comes time to replace my planer, I'll go with a stationary. 110V draws too much power and they are too loud. 13" is also too limiting.

My old Boice-Crane planer ran fine on 110 volts, and was the quietest planer I have heard run.
Great machine!
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
If a benchtop is what you end up thinking you will get, I'd suggest getting one that you could replace the original knife head with a Byrd head, MUCH quieter, MUCH, and adds a quality to the finish the knives just can't compete with. Now that I have spent you into the cost of a new 15" planer almost, sorry, it's the pitfall with any benchtop tool, the best ones are at or above the cost of real machinery you can look to years of service on. I say this having owned several 735's, and I still have one left to sell off. Never gonna give up my 15" planer though.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(10-17-2017, 03:17 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: I guess one way is to keep buying cheap machines. I bought the stationary 13" Delta decades ago. It is a great machine.

Yeah, cast iron is good stuff.  Got the original Rockwell/Invicta 13" myself.  Thousands of BF through it.  Clones abound.  

With boards of 13+" rare, I've found it more than adequate.  Anything bigger requiring solid wood is glued up carefully.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(10-18-2017, 05:55 PM)Steve N Wrote: If a benchtop is what you end up thinking you will get, I'd suggest getting one that you could replace the original knife head with a Byrd head, MUCH quieter, MUCH, and adds a quality to the finish the knives just can't compete with. Now that I have spent you into the cost of a new 15" planer almost, sorry, it's the pitfall with any benchtop tool, the best ones are at or above the cost of real machinery you can look to years of service on. I say this having owned several 735's, and I still have one left to sell off. Never gonna give up my 15" planer though.

It sounds like it would be a good question of how far cme4dk is from where you are selling that 735.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(10-17-2017, 01:33 PM)Lynden Wrote: For a hobby shop? -- the Makita 2012NB. It's a highly-rated, quality planer, is relatively quiet and it will do all you need it to do. Read the reviews. It's been said that bench-top planers are loud, Loud, LOUD or LOUD. The Makita is loud. The Dewalt 735 is LOUD.

I really like my 735, but it is very loud.  I have a set of radio headphones for such things.  I think the reason they are so loud is because they have integrated high-speed fans so that they can be run at a job site without dust collection.  The 735 is heavy as well.  I don't think it's practical to move it onto a bench.  I have a flip-top stand with wheels for mine.  The other side of the top has my Ridgid belt/spindle sander.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
Well, if you want to go a wee bit larger.................

https://austin.craigslist.org/tls/d/powe...95319.html
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I like the DeWalt 735.  Its standard blades are soft and self destroy with little use.  I bought the Infinity Tools carbide blades. They give a smooth finish -just don't hit any nails.

The great advantage of the carbide blades is that they can be carefully used to cut figured wood-curley and birdseye maple-without any tearout.  Just make the final cuts with the slow speed setting and very thin cuts.

Carbide blades cost about $230..This sounds expensive but the blades may make buying a thickness sander (not necessary/expensive  $900) and thickness sander paper (not necessary/expensive).  Thickness sanders take time to build skill and the dust is a pain to work with.

Don't let anyone but yourself use the planer with carbide blades.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
(10-18-2017, 05:55 PM)Steve N Wrote: If a benchtop is what you end up thinking you will get, I'd suggest getting one that you could replace the original knife head with a Byrd head, MUCH quieter, MUCH, and adds a quality to the finish the knives just can't compete with. Now that I have spent you into the cost of a new 15" planer almost, sorry, it's the pitfall with any benchtop tool, the best ones are at or above the cost of real machinery you can look to years of service on. I say this having owned several 735's, and I still have one left to sell off. Never gonna give up my 15" planer though.

If a portable 13" Planer is what you want, look for a used DW735 and then replace the head with the Bryd Helical. I did just that and was able to buy the planer and the head for the cost on a new planer. By replacing the cutting head with Bryd Helical, the noise level has been reduced significantly and the finish is fantastic. I've ran probably 5-600 feet of lumber thru it so far and the blades cut like they did on the first board.
(10-15-2017, 03:22 PM)cme4dk Wrote: My older Delta 13 inch planer is ready for the trash.  I am thinking of replacing it with a WEN 13 inch three blade planer.  Has anyone used that one?  What are you recommendations for a planer for a hobbyist?

Surprised no one has mentioned the Ridgid. I have one of the original gray ones and it's still going strong after 13+ years. Very reliable planer that has reversible knives that are quick and easy to change and register very easily.

Take a look at it.

Doug
(11-01-2017, 11:03 PM)Tapper Wrote: Surprised no one has mentioned the Ridgid. I have one of the original gray ones and it's still going strong after 13+ years. Very reliable planer that has reversible knives that are quick and easy to change and register very easily.

Take a look at it.

Doug

Just an update on the planer.  I ended up buying the Dewalt 735 and I am very happy with it.  It is easy to use and the end results are far better than with my older Delta planer.  I used to connect the planer to my shop vac with the dust deputy.  Now I connect the hose directly to the top of the dust deputy and the end result is far better than the dust deputy with the shop vac.

thanks for everyones help and advice.