Warranty queston
We're replacing our windows, had multiple companies come in and narrowed it down to two: Loews and Pella (both are Pella windows). Aside from the price the only difference is in the installation warranty - 1 yr / 10 yrs respectively. Trying to think of things that might go wrong after year one, all I can think of is the caulking around the windows, and not sure that would be covered under either warranty.

Any thoughts?
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
how much does the extra warranty cost?  That's their best estimate of how much it will cost them times two.
I would be more concerned on the window warranty......LOML's house has replacement windows, I ain't impressed.

Ed
If you are looking at Pella did you look into Renwal by Anderson. They offer a beautiful window. Pricey but so is Pella and a longer warrenty.
John T.
My experience with Lowes installers has not been good.  I suspect they check for criminal background but do little to verify their workmanship.

The installer they sent to my house to install the whole house attic fan, started cutting a hole in the hallway before checking the location of the rafters. The fan was designed to fit between two rafters, but required one in the middle to be cut.  

Because he did not check first he ended up cutting two rafters.  Very bad.

The second installer they sent to repair my deck re-used 60  year old brackets and used zinc plated drywall screws instead of the required nails.

Also very bad.

I would ask for references on any installer, but most especially those from Lowes or Home Depot or Sears or Menards, etc.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
It can more than caulking, the ones I bought for our last house (Thermal-Gard) were really well made triple glazed windows, but the installation screw ups plagued me for several years before we sold the house. The biggest problem was they leaked air around the perimeter very badly. The problem was you couldn't show that to the installers, because the only time it was noticeable was in very strong winds...and they were never there during very strong winds. So they came back about 4 times, each time stuffing more insulation into the inner frame area and trying to caulk the outside. They never did get it perfect, or even close...but it's not my problem now. Point being, the installation quality is worth something if you know you're getting otherwise good product.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-16-2017, 06:49 PM)Scouter Wrote: We're replacing our windows, had multiple companies come in and narrowed it down to two: Loews and Pella (both are Pella windows). Aside from the price the only difference is in the installation warranty - 1 yr / 10 yrs respectively. Trying to think of things that might go wrong after year one, all I can think of is the caulking around the windows, and not sure that would be covered under either warranty.

Any thoughts?

I went with Home Depot - Simonton windows.  I got a lifetime warranty on the windows.  One got broken when someone broke in - they replaced it for free.  All I had to do was e-mail HD and it was all taken care of - absolutely no hassle. 

The windows themselves are pretty good.  It's been 5 years now and they are just fine.  We had issues with a couple of windows during install - installer issue.  They made it all good.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I would worry about the seal breaking between the windows (on double pane) as well, which should be covered under warranty.
I installed new Pella windows in our house about 9 years ago.  About 2 years after installation, the glass in one of the sashes cracked.  I called Pella, they asked for the little serial number printed on the window and shipped me a brand complete sash at no charge.
(10-16-2017, 06:49 PM)Scouter Wrote: We're replacing our windows, had multiple companies come in and narrowed it down to two: Loews and Pella (both are Pella windows). Aside from the price the only difference is in the installation warranty - 1 yr / 10 yrs respectively. Trying to think of things that might go wrong after year one, all I can think of is the caulking around the windows, and not sure that would be covered under either warranty.

Any thoughts?

The neat thing about windows - once you take away the "installation" all you have is a window in a box.

If you want more than a window in a box - and don't want to install them yourself, they cost more.

People that are good at what they do know it - and they offer a warranty for their expertise.

People that aren't so good probably don't know it - but you do, when they offer a lesser quality warranty.  
Winkgrin

6270 Productions - I buy all my windows in a box (without installation)
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.