Peugeot Freres plane
I saw this sad plane one evening and recklessly threw out a starter bid. Yesterday the postman delivered the prize to my doorstep. Here is what you can get these days for $14.53 in the handplane world.

[Image: DSCN4101.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4102.jpg]

It is a Peugeot Freres smoother from France. About #3 size, in fruitwood or beech and with an unsharpened tapered blade.

[Image: DSCN4103.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4110.jpg]

The previous owner had bashed the blade from the end with a steel hammer enough to deform the steel. A few minutes on an anvil fixed that issue. I wire brushed the rust.

The blade is tight and I need to relieve the sides just a touch so it moves more freely. The end looks factory ground--all it needs is a good honing. It is quite a puzzle because the plane is well worn and the blade is of the era. I am sure it is a replacement. Maybe the first blade was used up. The plane sole is dished with the mouth as a high spot. I need to take it down a bit.

So the next task is to make a new wedge. At least the good part of the original wedge is there and can serve as a good pattern. The challenge will be to stain it and make it match the plane.

So for the price of a burger and a brew I have a nice little 100 yo plane to play with. Not a bad deal.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(10-17-2017, 06:13 AM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: I saw this sad plane one evening and recklessly threw out a starter bid. Yesterday the postman delivered the prize to my doorstep. Here is what you can get these days for $14.53 in the handplane world.

[Image: DSCN4101.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4102.jpg]

It is a Peugeot Freres smoother from France. About #3 size, in fruitwood or beech and with an unsharpened tapered blade.

[Image: DSCN4103.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4110.jpg]

The previous owner had bashed the blade from the end with a steel hammer enough to deform the steel. A few minutes on an anvil fixed that issue. I wire brushed the rust.

The blade is tight and I need to relieve the sides just a touch so it moves more freely. The end looks factory ground--all it needs is a good honing. It is quite a puzzle because the plane is well worn and the blade is of the era. I am sure it is a replacement. Maybe the first blade was used up. The plane sole is dished with the mouth as a high spot. I need to take it down a bit.

So the next task is to make a new wedge. At least the good part of the original wedge is there and can serve as a good pattern. The challenge will be to stain it and make it match the plane.

So for the price of a burger and a brew I have a nice little 100 yo plane to play with. Not a bad deal.
I have a Horn Plane and a toothing plane by that maker and a couple of other odd tools...The horn plane has a laminated body.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

What's with that hole in the front? Any idea
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
OK,  I'll see your plane and raise you a plane....
Similar story, bottom-dollar #Bay purchase, but with a missing blade.   Burl horn is something else, though!
Unfortunately my stock of plane blades doesn't have an exact fit, but the challenge is enticing!

Chris

Chris
(10-17-2017, 10:27 AM)Scott W Wrote: What's with that hole in the front? Any idea
............My guess the hole was for a dowel or some other type of handhold.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Mouth looks pretty wide; any thought to a re-soleing job?
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Looks like a
Cool  challenge.
Side hole was maybe for a handle
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(10-17-2017, 07:41 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Looks like a
Cool  challenge.
Side hole was maybe for a handle
LIL...I like rehabbing old woodies...if the sole is decent but has a wide mouth, I like to inlay a piece of 1/8" thick brass to close the mouth up, breathing new life in the old guys...I have one in the line-up right now waiting it's turn..if I ever get around to it..
Crazy
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(10-17-2017, 03:40 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ............My guess the hole was for a dowel or some other type of handhold.

I thought that but i tbought those types of handhelds were mainly on Asian planes.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
(10-18-2017, 06:55 PM)Scott W Wrote: I thought that but i tbought those types of handhelds were mainly on Asian planes.
Thats the tools I have seen the dowels on also..If the hole goes all the way through the body, a dowel could be inserted and a rope used to pull the plane while the other person held it down and pushed. But I can't imagine that would be necessary with a plane that size.
Crazy

Get off my lawn !
Upset