Lathe tools for carving?
In another thread, there is a discussion about a starter set of carving tools from Lee Valley.  I picked up a HF cheap set just to try my hand at carving (the tiny ones).  I like it - the carving part - not the tools.  I picked up a few lathe tools at a sale this weekend for ~$3 USD each.  Like the LV tools, they are low end with short handles.  However, I am thinking I can just regrind them and try that as my next step.

What do the hand tool folks say about this approach?
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Here is my advice for anyone starting out carving. Pick a project you want to carve and buy quality tools for that project. All using cheap tools will do is frustrate you and make you less likely to carve. Ashley Iles makes really good tools and they are about $10 per tool cheaper than Pfiel tools. Joel at TFWW has them. I was able to get a good deal on Pfeil tools so that is the bulk of what I have but the Ashley Iles tools seem just as nice and are actually more comfortable in the hand due to handle shape. If you buy tools as you need them the cost is a lot easier to swallow. My first project required 3 tools. Now I probably have 75-80 gouges but I use the same 10-12 gouges for most of my work so I could get by with a lot less. I build 18th century furniture so I am looking at it from that perspective. For someone who does different types of carving they may have a different perspective on tools.
Trying to adapt the turning tools to carving will not be successful. Don't do it.
(10-18-2017, 06:58 PM)Paul K. Murphy Wrote: Trying to adapt the turning tools to carving will not be successful. Don't do it.

Lathe tools lack the shoulder at the handle to resist driving the tool into the handle if you strike it.  And the profile will probably be too heavy to do any decent carving.
(10-18-2017, 05:44 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Here is my advice for anyone starting out carving. Pick a project you want to carve and buy quality tools for that project. All using cheap tools will do is frustrate you and make you less likely to carve. Ashley Iles makes really good tools and they are about $10 per tool cheaper than Pfiel tools. Joel at TFWW has them. I was able to get a good deal on Pfeil tools so that is the bulk of what I have but the Ashley Iles tools seem just as nice and are actually more comfortable in the hand due to handle shape. If you buy tools as you need them the cost is a lot easier to swallow. My first project required 3 tools. Now I probably have 75-80 gouges but I use the same 10-12 gouges for most of my work so I could get by with a lot less. I build 18th century furniture so I am looking at it from that perspective. For someone who does different types of carving they may have a different perspective on tools.

Dave, is there one or three that you could recommend (you grab most often) for a newbie to start with? 

This 'ignorance' is always a hazard for someone new to any form of tool working.  I must always agree with the "get the good stuff" philosophy. However, I am too Scotch (and, cheap) to mostly change my own habits. Thanks.
(10-19-2017, 12:43 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Dave, is there one or three that you could recommend (you grab most often) for a newbie to start with? 

This 'ignorance' is always a hazard for someone new to any form of tool working.  I must always agree with the "get the good stuff" philosophy. However, I am too Scotch (and, cheap) to mostly change my own habits. Thanks.

Find a well documented pattern for what you're trying to carve, or something at least close.
Good patterns/instructions will list the tool you need to complete the task.

An acanthus leaf relief carving requires different tools than a 3-D gargoyle. DAMHIKT.
(10-19-2017, 12:43 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Dave, is there one or three that you could recommend (you grab most often) for a newbie to start with? 

Bruce, Chuck is right. If you tell me what you want to carve I can give you a list of suggested tools. If you want to carve a basic fan for instance your tool selection will be much different than if you are carving a ball and claw foot or an acanthus leaf on the apron of a piece. This is why I have so many tools. All my carving is on furniture but my carving may be a simple fan design or a detailed cartouche on a highboy which require totally different tool sets.
Dave Diaman
Bruce, Chuck is right. If you tell me what you want to carve I can give you a list of suggested tools. If you want to carve a basic fan for instance your tool selection will be much different than if you are carving a ball and claw foot or an acanthus leaf on the apron of a piece. This is why I have so many tools. All my carving is on furniture but my carving may be a simple fan design or a detailed cartouche on a highboy which require totally different tool sets.

I started with some lettering, and some surface texture.  To me, a fan or similar surface design is the next logical step.  Therefore what tools or 3 should I buy.  Thanks.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
For a fan I would probably start with a 25/10 back bent gouge, a 12/6 v tool and a 3/12. With those tools you should ha able to carve a fan. Some additional tools would make things easier but those along with Your bench chisels are all you will need.
The numbers I posted are the Pfiel numbers. If you are buying Ashley Iles I believe their back bent gouges sweep corresponds to their standard gouges. In that case you would want a 3/10 back bent gouge.