Looking for a jigsaw...suggestions?
(10-19-2017, 09:57 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: On my current project, I have the need to cut down large sheet goods as well as cutting down rough boards to make them more manageable to run them through my jointer and planer. I've thought about it, and trying to cut down 10' long Brazilian Cherry boards just won't work in my current shop space (the third bay of a 3-car garage). Plus cutting down really wide stuff by hand is a pain and takes too long for my tastes. Thus, I thought I'd look at jigsaws since I could also use that for roughing out shapes. I started looking on Amazon, but I thought I'd ask on here as well. What is a good jigsaw for making rough cuts (both in sizing down and cutting out shapes)? I honestly don't care if it's corded or not. Heck, those seem to be more affordable to me anyway, and with my current budget, I'd like to spend as little as possible without settling for a crappy tool that I'd outgrow quickly. 

What are some good, affordable jigsaws? Thanks!

It may be apostasy in the power tool forum, but seriously, think about a handsaw for cutting down rough stock.  Go to the HD or Lowes and get yourself an impulse-hardened handsaw for less than $15, it will make short work of cut downs.  You can't sharpen them, but they will last a pretty long time.  I have one I keep in the truck for odd jobs, its pretty good.  Not so much for sheet goods (but it would work), there I'd say get a circular saw of smaller diameter, corded or battery, but in each instance, cheap.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Agreed, best truck saw in the world is a cheap hardened one from the BORG, but Brother you must have more energy than me. I wanna hear something go WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA when I hit the pickle switch
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
As above, *Bosch* if you go for a jigsaw.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I use a jigsaw to cut lumber to a managable lenght. As others have said, Bosch.
Wow, a lot of suggestions for Bosch! The Brazilian Cherry I had was only 7 inches wide at most, so other than making a couple of tough hand cuts (to make the lengths manageable to carry around in my small shop area), I was able to cut those down to rough length on my miter saw today. However, I will still need the jigsaw for making some rough curved cuts as well as cutting down some wide poplar boards to rough length, so I'll definitely look at Bosch's selection. I have a belt sander by them and it's definitely a rugged, hard-working tool!
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
Like any other "which one" question, you'll get lots of different answers, and my preference is Porter Cable.

If you think a jig saw is the best answer for your situation, consider making a couple cutting shoes for your jig saw, not unlike what Joe uses for his circular saws, that should give you the best of both worlds.  

I also don't use a jig saw to break down material and agree with others that a circular saw is "the" tool for the job.   I too occupy part of the garage, and use the table saw and side table as a platform for breaking down material.   Here, I have set a series of 2" wide 3/4" sticks on the saw and extension table, and the piece shown lying  on them is my straight edge.  I lay the material on the sticks, then for long cuts, lay/adjust the straight edge as necessary, clamp, and make the cut. 

[Image: Sheet%205-L.jpg]

For  cross cuts I use one of those straight edge clamps.

[Image: SawBoss%203-L.jpg]
My nephew works for Bosch and through him I have purchased quite a few Bosch tools. They are good tools. I also like Makita tools and the jigsaw I decided to buy is the no-frills Makita 4329K. It's affordable, compact, lightweight, has decent dust collection and it does everything I need it to do. Check the reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-4329K-3-9-...ita+jigsaw

makita 4329k reviews

Whichever jigsaw you end up getting, use Bosch blades.
(10-22-2017, 02:43 PM)Lynden Wrote: Whichever jigsaw you end up getting, use Bosch blades.

Absolute truth here, none other compare.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Look for a reasonably priced used Bosch 1490 or 1491 for shop use. Try to find one that was made in Switzerland. Spending $250 for a new swiss made bosch is probably more than you can justify.

For occasional breakdown on the road or some light demo work a cordless sawzall can come in handy.
My .02
Karl

1590 and 1591 correct? Both are amazing. Also like the darn similar Milwaukee also with blade stabilization.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.