Looking for a jigsaw...suggestions?
(10-19-2017, 09:57 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: ...need to cut down large sheet goods as well as cutting down rough boards to make them more manageable to run them through my jointer and planer...

For breaking down sheet goods and straightening the edge of rough lumber, nothing can beat a good track saw; I have the Festool TS55 with tracks to 10'. For cutting lumber to length, the radial arm saw is unbeatable, though a Skilsaw can be used with a saw guide square for rough cuts. A saber saw is not an appropriate tool for any of the previous functions, though it is a very useful tool; mine are Bosch.
Wood is good. 
(10-19-2017, 09:57 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: On my current project, I have the need to cut down large sheet goods as well as cutting down rough boards to make them more manageable to run them through my jointer and planer

For sheet goods I agree with the others to use track saw/cutting jig. For cutting rough boards to length the first tool I reach for is the jig saw....mostly because it spews less dust.
Bosch barrel grip, that saw is a game changer. Think back to the early "60s, electric drills were 1/4", 2amp or less and one speed, 1800rpm, and no reverse. Along comes Skil with their variable speed reversible 3amp 3/8" drill. The Bosch jig saw is such a tool.
A man of foolish pursuits
Never had the need to OWN any tools when I had the cabinet shop. The very first tool I bought post-cabinet shop days was a Bosch jigsaw. Smooth, and bulletproof. As others have said Bosch blades as well, cut thousands of sink cutout and never once blew out laminate.

Mike
(10-23-2017, 04:30 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: Bosch barrel grip, that saw is a game changer. Think back to the early "60s, electric drills  were 1/4", 2amp or less and one speed, 1800rpm, and no reverse. Along comes Skil with their variable speed reversible 3amp 3/8" drill. The Bosch jig saw is such a tool.

I've had a barrel grip Bosch for years, I also have a Bosch standard jigsaw, and yet I usually end up using a POS XYZ brand jigsaw, but with Bosch blades because though it is a POS it has awesome ergonomics (FOR ME ANYHOW) and it has just enough adjustment I can make very nice jigsaw cuts with it. Now a very nice jigsaw cut is still miles rougher, and jagged than even a poor circular saw cut, unless of course your intended cut is curved, but then I have 2 BS's, and 3 Scroll saws for those cuts. So I only use a jigsaw in the "must bring the tool to the work" kind of situation. A sink cut out would be one of those. Tearing down sheet goods, and stock, not so much.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
To each his own, but I never use a jigsaw to break down lumber unless its extremely twisted.  Too slow and I don't like the vibrations.

I would never use a jigsaw to cut plywood because of the huge vibration issue and having to clamp the sheet to the edge of a table. Of course, if you're cutting a pattern or curves you will need a jigsaw. In those situations I use my bandsaw as much as possible.

My suggestion is invest in a good quality (corded) circular saw like Milwaukee or Makita.  If you support the lumber well you will rarely have an issue with kickback.  And you can't beat a circ saw for breaking down sheet goods.

Any major brand will suffice.  I have both a DeWalt and Bosch they both work fine.

I would definitely go corded.
I’m going to stray a little from the pack here. For breaking down rough stock and sheet goods it is hard to beat a circular saw. I have found it is all about the blade. I have a dirt cheap Ryobi circular saw that is probably 15 years old that has served me well. I always bought good quality high TPI blades and used a homemade track and it cut about as clean as a track saw. I have since bought a Grizzly track saw for sheet goods but in all honesty it was a want and not a need.

For a jigsaw I have used about ever saw under the sun. Bosch, Festool, Dewalt and so on. I actually had a Festool jigsaw which was a really nice saw but I can’t say it was really any better than a Bosch. I sold the Festool saw and bought a Dewalt 20v jigsaw and it is probably the last I will ever own. It is a fantastic saw and very versital. I don’t use a jigsaw often so not pulling out a cord to use it is nice. I also have the cordless circular saw and reciprocating saw. I already owned a Dewalt 20v drill so I was able to buy all the Dewalt bare 20v tools for under $100 each on eBay.
(10-19-2017, 09:57 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: On my current project, I have the need to cut down large sheet goods as well as cutting down rough boards to make them more manageable to run them through my jointer and planer. I've thought about it, and trying to cut down 10' long Brazilian Cherry boards just won't work in my current shop space (the third bay of a 3-car garage). Plus cutting down really wide stuff by hand is a pain and takes too long for my tastes. Thus, I thought I'd look at jigsaws since I could also use that for roughing out shapes. I started looking on Amazon, but I thought I'd ask on here as well. What is a good jigsaw for making rough cuts (both in sizing down and cutting out shapes)? I honestly don't care if it's corded or not. Heck, those seem to be more affordable to me anyway, and with my current budget, I'd like to spend as little as possible without settling for a crappy tool that I'd outgrow quickly. 

What are some good, affordable jigsaws? Thanks!
A circular saw would be the way to go.  Corded or cordless depends on your convenience.  At the low end, you have Ryobi and at the high end there's Makita, DeWalt, Bosch .... in between you have Ridgid and a couple of others.  There's stuff available to suit most budgets.  Use a thin kerf (Freud) blade; 40 teeth is good.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-7-1-4.../100017783

You can buy 2" thick 4' x 8' foam, throw it on the floor/driveway/Saw Horses and throw your plywood/MDF/particle board sheet on it and then cut:
http://www.kregtool.com/files/newsletter...aw-LRG.jpg

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kingspan-Insula.../999972968

Keep in mind that your circular saw blade will go only 1/4" deep (at most) into the foam, so it will last a long time.  When not in use, put it against the wall.

A jigsaw would take for ever and your cuts would not be that straight.  Using an edge guide for straight cuts would be the way to go, with a circular saw.  You can also make a zero-clearance plate for your circular saw to minimize tear-out; real handy for plywood and melamine.

Example:  http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/p...196375.jpg

I used masonite and then stuck Formica laminate on top of that (using contact cement), when I made mine, to give me a smooth and hard-wearing surface.  I have used Makita circular saws for the last 28 years (first in Australia and then once I moved here) and they worked very well for me; somewhat pricey, though.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-15-Am.../202873973

My jigsaw is a Bosch (also very good), but not suitable for making long straight cuts in sheet goods.  Circular is best.

Good luck !
(10-30-2017, 02:48 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote:  I have since bought a Grizzly track saw for sheet goods but in all honesty it was a want and not a need.

This 4 1/2" Griz track saw looks intriguing, especially for $120 on sale ......... I've used my PC trim saw of same size with great success on sheet goods for 20 years now or else I'd be tempted.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini-Tra...Kit/T27444

Attached Files Image(s)

Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have a hitachi jigsaw, love it. That thing's an animal. Adjustable orbit settings and speed.

For breaking down stock I recently got a cordless ridgid circular saw and plywood blade. It was slow going, but I got thru some 3/4 hardwood plywood with a nice cut. I already had a bunch of ridgid 18v stuff... I think battery tech has come a long way the last few years making it a nice option. I have a sander too. Might pick up a trim router sometime.
Benny