Track saw vs table saw
Can a good track saw (Festo for example) replace a table saw?

Assuming you have a router and can cut dadoes and grooves with the router, can your wood working shop function with just a track saw to replace a table saw and radial arm saw.

I am assuming that you will have a chop saw and jig saw which you would have even if you were using a table saw.

Could you build a set of shaker cabinets using a track saw and a router and had no access to a table saw or radial arm saw?

Just curious.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(10-20-2017, 09:51 AM)Cooler Wrote: Can a good track saw (Festo for example) replace a table saw? Yes

Assuming you have a router and can cut dadoes and grooves with the router, can your wood working shop function with just a track saw to replace a table saw and radial arm saw. Yes

I am assuming that you will have a chop saw and jig saw which you would have even if you were using a table saw. I say the same thing about a Tracksaw too

Could you build a set of shaker cabinets using a track saw and a router and had no access to a table saw or radial arm saw? Yes you could

Just curious.

Will I ever replace my tablesaw with my tracksaw , no way. Why? Because I like to use my tablesaw. I like the process I know using a tablesaw. I don't have space issues or power issues or budget issues. 

Use what works for you and figure out how to accomplish what you want the way you want. Tons of ways to accomplish these tasks.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'm not planning on making a change from my table saw.  I read once that in Europe it is common for a track saw to be the primary saw and many home shops have no table saw.
(10-20-2017, 11:03 AM)Cooler Wrote: I'm not planning on making a change from my table saw.  I read once that in Europe it is common for a track saw to be the primary saw and many home shops have no table saw.

Unless you have just about every tool & jig known to man, everything is a compromise, in some way or another.  I can see where a track saw could be used for many routine table saw functions.  I have no interest on going that route.  I'd rather have both. 
Laugh   I've read posts on this forum of guys who replaced their table saw with a band saw, so there isn't anything stopping anyone from doing whatever they want or need to do.  Heck, 150 years ago, what did they use? 
Wink
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I do most of my ripping at the bandsaw. I have a Festool tracksaw. There is still no way I’d drop my table saw for it. Sure I could do most (all?) the same stuff with the tracksaw but the constant re-measuring for each cut would drive me insane. I guess parallel guides would help with that but that’s even more cumbersome. I use the MFT for cross cuts.
-Marc

(10-20-2017, 01:24 PM)WaterlooMarc Wrote: I do most of my ripping at the bandsaw. I have a Festool tracksaw. There is still no way I’d drop my table saw for it. Sure I could do most (all?) the same stuff with the tracksaw but the constant re-measuring for each cut would drive me insane. I guess parallel guides would help with that but that’s even more cumbersome. I use the MFT for cross cuts.
I got a 48" fence on my saw just for the reason that I did not want to be doing a lot of arithmetic figuring how to end up with a 32" board from a 48" wide sheet.  Set the fence for 15-7/8"?? 15-15/16"??

So I get that.  

But for someone just doing cabinet work I think you could manage just fine with a track saw to cut the panels to size.  Ripping face frame material to width would be a real chore though.
This question comes up every great once in a while, and there are are a handful of guys who swear by (replacing TS with track saw). I just don't see it, I have a Festool and use it a lot....but there's no way it would (or could, IMHO) substitute for a TS.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-20-2017, 09:51 AM)Cooler Wrote: Can a good track saw (Festo for example) replace a table saw?

Assuming you have a router and can cut dadoes and grooves with the router, can your wood working shop function with just a track saw to replace a table saw and radial arm saw.

I am assuming that you will have a chop saw and jig saw which you would have even if you were using a table saw.

Could you build a set of shaker cabinets using a track saw and a router and had no access to a table saw or radial arm saw?

Just curious.
My opinion is that it can't replace a table saw.  The table saw can do so many things that a track saw can't.  The functions that the track saw could replace would take much longer.  That being said,  I have read that some people have made the swap.  It would depend on the type of work you do.  My tablesaw will be the last tool to leave my shop.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
(10-20-2017, 02:12 PM)CARYinWA Wrote: My opinion is that it can't replace a table saw.  The table saw can do so many things that a track saw can't.  The functions that the track saw could replace would take much longer.  That being said,  I have read that some people have made the swap.  It would depend on the type of work you do.  My tablesaw will be the last tool to leave my shop.

About the only thing I use my TS for is ripping, and even then, ripping long pieces of stock.  It's just easier than using a bandsaw, except I do use a bandsaw to rip 8/4 and up stock and joint the width to final size with a plane .  The rest is handsaws, cutting stock to rough length prior to jointing and planing, cutting to final size with a panel saw and shooting the edges with a plane, and of course joinery is done with backsaws.  This is for one off furniture work.  For more production oriented multiple pieces, and for sheet goods, I will turn to the tablesaw, as its just more efficient in my view.  I've never considered a track saw, they were lousy 30 years ago when I bought my first tablesaw, so I never considered it an option.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I'm hanging with both. That said I do have a roomy shop. If I were to move to a small place where there was NO shop room, I can see doing quite a bit of work with my track saw, but every day I would miss that TS.

I think a study about this would show those of us saying no way, probably are older, and have used a TS for years, where those saying no problemo may never have owned a TS, or didn't become dependent on it.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW