Track saw vs table saw
(10-20-2017, 02:11 PM)fredhargis Wrote: This question comes up every great once in a while, and there are are a handful of guys who swear by (replacing TS with track saw). I just don't see it, I have a Festool and use it a lot....but there's no way it would (or could, IMHO) substitute for a TS.

What Fred said...

Ripping narrow and/or short stock with a tracksaw isn't much fun.

I'll stick with both.

Ed
No.
A tracksaw, no matter how nice, is not a suitable replacement for a tablesaw. You may have to go that rout for some reason, but that just means that your situation demands that approach.
A tracksaw is a specialty tool. A tablesaw is a general use tool.
I have both, and if pressed, I'd give up my track saw before I give up my table saw.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(10-21-2017, 12:02 PM)Paul K. Murphy Wrote: No.
A tracksaw, no matter how nice, is not a suitable replacement for a tablesaw. You may have to go that rout for some reason, but that just means that your situation demands that approach.
A tracksaw is a specialty tool. A tablesaw is a general use tool.

Exactly ^.

John
I like having both. Somehow our ansesters built furinitue without either.
IMHO track saws are a lot more sizzle than steak.   They are nothing more than a Circular saw with a matching straight edge, and as for either being a replacement for the table saw...not.

Mike
This comes up over on the Festool forums from time to time. I have both and would not give up either one. You can rip and cross cut with a track saw, but it's best for working large pieces. For small work, it's safer and more convenient to bring the work to the saw--ie sled on a table saw. Track saw has a bit more setup than a TS, but it's also more portable and takes up a lot less space when you're not using it. Finally, just like there are some things only the TS will do, there are also some things that a track saw can do that a TS cannot.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" Arthur 'Big Guy' Carlson
(10-21-2017, 07:15 PM)GNP Wrote: I like having both. Somehow our ansesters built furinitue without either.

They used hand tools. You can still choose to use hand tools to build furniture, if you like. 

Doug

P.S. NEVER will give up my SS tablesaw!
(10-20-2017, 11:03 AM)Cooler Wrote: I'm not planning on making a change from my table saw.  I read once that in Europe it is common for a track saw to be the primary saw and many home shops have no table saw.

Europeans don't usually have the amount of shop space we have here.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(10-21-2017, 01:23 PM)AHill Wrote: I have both, and if pressed, I'd give up my track saw before I give up my table saw.

+1
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020