Suppliers for plate glass?
Two questions:

Can any of you recommend plate glass suppliers?  

Do I need tempered for a light duty shelf (curio cabinet duty) that is 3/16"x30"x15"?

I'm building the Lighted Curio Cabinet in the latest Wood magazine and am suffering a bit of sticker shock; I'm finding prices for two shelves and six door panels running from $450-$600.
Semper fi,
Brad

(10-21-2017, 06:07 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Two questions:

Can any of you recommend plate glass suppliers?  

Do I need tempered for a light duty shelf (curio cabinet duty) that is 3/16"x30"x15"?

I'm building the Lighted Curio Cabinet in the latest Wood magazine and am suffering a bit of sticker shock; I'm finding prices for two shelves and six door panels running from $450-$600.

You aren't required by law to use tempered or laminated glass for cabinet doors or shelves.  I use my local glass shop for such needs.  I use 1/4" glass for light duty shelves; 3/16" is pretty light for a shelf that long.  Many glass suppliers show load vs. span and glass thickness on their websites and I suggest you check.  I usually specify a polished pencil edge on glass for shelving. 

For cabinet doors I usually use double strength glass because it's strong enough for my needs and it's cheap, but if you go up to 1/4" you'll pretty much never have to worry about them breaking.  I don't get those edges polished, just ground.  Most thicker glass isn't cheap these days, but those prices sound pretty high.  

John

Oh, sorry, try Wolverine Glass  if you don't have a local shop that can do the work.  They were far cheaper for me supplying the tempered glass lites I used in the arched French door project earlier this year. 

John  

Thanks, John.

Can't find a shopping page there so I sent an email.
Semper fi,
Brad

When I worked remodeling drug stores we just found a local glass company and they mad our shelves and mirrors
Easiest thing is to go with a local glass supplier.  Hard to believe there aren't any near you.
There are a couple. I'm in a fairly rural area, so there isn't a whole lot of anything realty close by!
Semper fi,
Brad

I would source that locally, unless it's free S&H, and breakage is on them, not you.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Standard glass thicknesses:

Single Strength = 2.5mm (.099")

Double strength = 3.2mm (.125")

I used single strength for most picture frames and I think it is fine for small door lights.

Picture windows are done in double strength in most cases.

Here is a weight calculator for glass:  https://www.dullesglassandmirror.com/gla...calculator

A door with several glass panels can get heavy.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks, Cooler.

This design has six individual doors, each with its own pane of glass, so individual weight isn't a huge concern.
Semper fi,
Brad

Another question, but this one on sizing the shelves:

The interior width of the carcass is 30 3/8". Should I make the shelves 1/8" shorter or 1/4" shorter? Shelf pins will be completely below the shelves; no "L" shape, so they won't make the interior any narrower.
Semper fi,
Brad