Powermatic planer 15" 250v 30a setup
Just got a new planer from Powermatic.  It has a cord but no plug.  My shop is wired for 220V 20A and also has a couple of outlets with 220 with 30amp breaker meant for dryer. I need to use the 30amp breaker.  The cord has three wires.  I was wondering how you guys that have this planer set up.
JB

"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"
--Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

(10-21-2017, 07:01 PM)32ojdidit Wrote: Just got a new planer from Powermatic.  It has a cord but no plug.  My shop is wired for 220V 20A and also has a couple of outlets with 220 with 30amp breaker meant for dryer. I need to use the 30amp breaker.  The cord has three wires.  I was wondering how you guys that have this planer set up.

I know the specs call for a 30 amp  circuit but I have operated two PM15 planers in two different shops for 20 yrs on a 20 amp circuit and they have never had or caused an issue. 

PM is being overly cautious IMO 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(10-21-2017, 09:32 PM)JGrout Wrote: I know the specs call for a 30 amp  circuit but I have operated two PM15 planers in two different shops for 20 yrs on a 20 amp circuit and they have never had or caused an issue. 

PM is being overly cautious IMO 

Joe

I have a 15" Grizzly with a helical head that runs fine on a 20 amp circuit as well. It's never blown a breaker.
Measure with a micrometer. Mark with Chalk. Cut with a chainsaw.
My PM15HH has been on a 20 amp circuit since I got it 9 years ago...never a problem.
Bob
IME 15" planers with 3HP motors should run fine on 20Amp circuits.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
I tried it on a 20 amp breaker. I turned it on and it jumped a little and popped the breaker. That’s when I went to the box and realized it was a 20a.
JB

"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"
--Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

(10-21-2017, 10:59 PM)32ojdidit Wrote: I tried it on a 20 amp breaker. I turned it on and it jumped a little and popped the breaker. That’s when I went to the box and realized it was a 20a.

Something is wrong then in the planer
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

That planer should easily start up (no load) on a 20amp 220volt breaker.
"During times of universal deceit, Telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"

-- George Orwell
(10-21-2017, 07:01 PM)32ojdidit Wrote: Just got a new planer from Powermatic.  It has a cord but no plug.  My shop is wired for 220V 20A and also has a couple of outlets with 220 with 30amp breaker meant for dryer. I need to use the 30amp breaker.  The cord has three wires.  I was wondering how you guys that have this planer set up.

The specs say it has a 21A FLC motor, which sounds like it's Asia-sourced.  High for a 3 hp, like many Grizzly machines are.  My 3 hp Unisaw has a 12.4A Marathon motor, which is low but real.

Either way, if it starts and runs ok on a 20A circuit, use it.  If you would rather use the existing 30A dryer circuit, know that if it's 3-wire with no ground, the white is functionally the same as the equipment ground, assuming it lands on the same bus in the main panel.  It's just overkill, as it would be insulated, and the receptacle lug it's landed on is designed to carry current continuously, while a ground connection does not except in a ground-fault situation (potentially thousands of amps for a cycle or so).  And it's the wrong color.  

You could also change out the receptacle for a NEMA 6-30, which is a proper 30A, 250V, 2-pole, 3-wire, grounded receptacle.  That doesn't make the white equipment grounding conductor code compliant, but it's what you have.

I'm a little curious about others' PM planers that run on 20A circuits.  Especially if they have the same motor.  21A rating is obviously more than should be on a 20A circuit (16A max on a motor circuit, generally speaking), and a lot of motor to start, with a high-speed belt-connected load yet.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
What size wire is on the 20amp circuit? If it's 10g then just swap the breaker. If not you need a new line.

If you can access the breaker box you can run a new dedicated line. If not you can split your dryer line. Take off the dryer outlet and put in a box and add an outlet for the dryer and planer. You just can't use both at the same time. The dryer line should be 10g and run the 2 splits with 10g.
Don