Double Sided Tape Failure
My first two attempts to turn an "emerging bowl" ended with tape failure.  I turned the half sphere and separated the blocks. I mounted the block with tape and supported the half sphere with three wedges on tape.  I used clamps and tail stock pressure to "set" the tape.  In the first attempt, I had stopped to check the depth.  Depth was perfect, all I needed was to clean the little nib in the bottom.  Turned the lathe on and before I could pick up the tool, I noticed a "ghost"; instantly the block flew off.  There was no catch.  I'm not sure where that role of tape came from so "maybe the tape is bad" I thought.

On the second one I used a newer role of "turner's tape" and went through the same steps but failure happened shortly after I started hollowing the bowl at a slower speed.

The face plate is Baltic Birch and very clean.  Okay, I am ready to hear from you, what did I do wrong?
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Everything know about using double-side tape; mating surfaces must be perfectly flat. Wedges & tape didn’t work so not sure what to tell you.
Bill
(10-23-2017, 09:24 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: My first two attempts to turn an "emerging bowl" ended with tape failure.  I turned the half sphere and separated the blocks. I mounted the block with tape and supported the half sphere with three wedges on tape.  I used clamps and tail stock pressure to "set" the tape.  In the first attempt, I had stopped to check the depth.  Depth was perfect, all I needed was to clean the little nib in the bottom.  Turned the lathe on and before I could pick up the tool, I noticed a "ghost"; instantly the block flew off.  There was no catch.  I'm not sure where that role of tape came from so "maybe the tape is bad" I thought.

On the second one I used a newer role of "turner's tape" and went through the same steps but failure happened shortly after I started hollowing the bowl at a slower speed.

The face plate is Baltic Birch and very clean.  Okay, I am ready to hear from you, what did I do wrong?

Bill

The tape works great for regular turning, but not with off sided turning.  To me personally I would use a glue block on/or hot glue.  The tape to me does not work really well turning on the side of it either unless the wood is really dry and has a good flat space which will hole it great and with that I also clamp it tight to the wood with either clamps or the tail stock
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I have had good luck with turners tape fro Lee Valley.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I saw a video where the guy used tape so that's what I tried; I don't have a glue gun.

The surfaces were as flat as a woodworker can get them.

The turning was for this month's challenge at our club.  I have a lot of hours in the project and it frustrates me not to be able to finish.  Starting over is not appealing.  I may have to buy a glue gun.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(10-23-2017, 08:34 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: I saw a video where the guy used tape so that's what I tried; I don't have a glue gun.

The surfaces were as flat as a woodworker can get them.

The turning was for this month's challenge at our club.  I have a lot of hours in the project and it frustrates me not to be able to finish.  Starting over is not appealing.  I may have to buy a glue gun.

Tape and porous surfaces are not a great option.  Try getting those surfaces flat as possible and sealing them with shellac prior to taping.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.