Cutting Aluminum on Delta Wood Bandsaw
(10-26-2017, 01:49 PM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: Looks like this just after a quick cut or two.

"Cutting Aluminum on Delta Wood Bandsaw"

Can chew up your BS tires, or those sparklies can imbed in your very nice expensive wood stock, and if you joint, plane, sand or do a lot of things afterward can chew your blades, cutters, and sand paper. It is after all a very nice abrasive you are making.

I say NO way Jose. You can cut aluminum on too many other tools to mess up your BS. Will it make the cut, Ohhhh hail yeah, it's just what happens afterward.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
As far as tire damage. I read somewhere where someone had bad tires and no new ones, so they wrapped masking tape around the wheels, and it worked.
I wonder if putting a few layers of masking tape on top of the bs tires would prevent damage from the aluminum chips?
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I've cut aluminum with a Skilsaw, they even have blades for aluminum . Though, I've seen ordinary 24t framing blades used, they may lose teeth.. They can kick like a mule so hang on tight. I prefer to use a jig saw, run it slow and use lube. WD-40 or kerosene ,aluminum welds to blades.
A man of foolish pursuits
(10-27-2017, 03:12 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: I've cut aluminum with a Skilsaw, they even have blades for aluminum . Though,  I've seen ordinary 24t framing blades used, they may lose teeth.. They can kick like a mule so hang on tight.  I prefer to use a jig saw, run it slow and use lube. WD-40 or kerosene ,aluminum welds to blades.

I cut some 1/4" aluminum diamond plate on a cabinet saw. Bought a couple $2 7 1/4" blades expecting them to be loud and get damaged. Neither thing was an issue, it was pretty anticlimactic. I did clean the saw out well before cutting the aluminum, didn't use dust collection then vacuumed the saw out once I was done with the aluminum.  I even routed some with carbide bits and lowest speed. The result  was a little rough but it does what I want it to do.
This is a great help! Didn't even need to post a new thread. I'll be purchasing a bandsaw I saw in Sawinery.net real soon (not a Dewalt though) and I might be cutting some thin aluminum there, too. Thanks, Israel and everyone else.
(11-02-2017, 03:50 AM)kurtstevenson Wrote: This is a great help! Didn't even need to post a new thread. I'll be purchasing a bandsaw I saw in Sawinery.net real soon (not a Dewalt though) and I might be cutting some thin aluminum there, too. Thanks, Israel and everyone else.
Well, I have cut aluminum for years on my single-speed 14" Delta BS...and I use a 1/2" 6ppi blade.....NO LUBE...Just adjust the feed rate to suit the thickness of the metal..just like you would if cutting wood or other material...I use ordinary {wood cutting} BS blades.
The Slow-Speed belt grinder that I made a few years ago was made largely out of 1" thick aluminum stock that I cut on the BS...I have posted photos of it several times on this forum.
I cut brass in the same manner...NO LUBE...Both types of metal will get hot, so don't force the cut... just take it slow and let the heat dissipate...Never a problem with the BS tires accumulating metal swarf either..The saw is over 25yrs old and has the original tires..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I use soapy water in a spray bottle for cutting aluminum. Just clean it all up and lube after your done. You can try placing duct tape over the rubber wheels for a one time protection.
Cutting 2" thick is going to be very messy- go slow and use a lot of spray.

I did buy a used old HF bandsaw for this- cheap and expendable. Reduced the speed on it.
(11-02-2017, 07:59 AM)daddo Wrote: I use soapy water in a spray bottle for cutting aluminum.

IF your blade stayed on- you got lucky.

Delta woodcutting saws weren't made to keep the blade on when slippery fluid is present.
That's why Hobart saws are in butcher shops.

That's the advice I gave the fella who was complaining about his blade popping off while he was cutting up his slimey deer meat....
One day, Chuck Norris ordered two pizzas to go.  They went.
(11-06-2017, 06:04 AM)Delta007 Wrote: IF your blade stayed on- you got lucky.

Delta woodcutting saws weren't made to keep the blade on when slippery fluid is present.
That's why Hobart saws are in butcher shops.

That's the advice I gave the fella who was complaining about his blade popping off while he was cutting up his slimey deer meat....

A few drops of soap in a spray bottle isn't that slippery. The soap is just to break the bond of the water and help keep the aluminum chips from clogging the  teeth on the blade.
 But perhaps you're right if the blade has any sideways tension against the wheel. But if there were side tension, would the blade run off the wheel on its own anyway?