Small bench vise?
I'm thinking of fitting a small wood table in our utility room with a vise, but there's not much space for it. Has anyone used one of those little 6" bench vises? Are they any good?
(10-29-2017, 01:50 PM)overland Wrote: I'm thinking of fitting a small wood table in our utility room with a vise, but there's not much space for it. Has anyone used one of those little 6" bench vises? Are they any good?

Woodworking type vise or a mechanics vise?
(10-29-2017, 01:59 PM)jlanciani Wrote: Woodworking type vise or a mechanics vise?
Woodworking
If you can find one, the Record clamp-on vise is pretty decent quality.  Limited capacity, and the wood is above the bench rather than in front of it.
At one point (20 or so years ago) I had a small (7"?) Record vise. It was well made and worked as designed but the performance and usability was underwhelming. Clamping power was severely limited by the small screw and it racked to the point of binding if the workpiece was off center in the jaws.
I have one of these that I mounted on my bench that I travel with for demonstrations. It isn’t big but it works just as well as the 10” vise I have on my main workbench. Quick release is really nice too. Of course they were not on clearance when I got mine.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/eclip...gL2E_D_BwE
I have used one similar (or maybe the same) for twenty years or more without any problems.  Don't now where I got it, but I took care with the mounting and have abused it no end.  I lined the jaws with scrap pine and beat the heck out of it.  For what you are talking about, it will work fine.

R.
(10-29-2017, 01:50 PM)overland Wrote: I'm thinking of fitting a small wood table in our utility room with a vise, but there's not much space for it. Has anyone used one of those little 6" bench vises? Are they any good?

I picked up one of these cheap Irwin vises from Amazon to install on a workbench for my grandson and I've been pleasantly surprised by it.  There's no quick release but it works great and was only $20.

https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-226361-Wood...irwin+vise

[Image: 37336318924_176626203c_b.jpg]

Mike