Cutting hole in DC duct
Colleagues: I need another DC line for a TS over the blade dust collection/blade guard.

To run it off the existing 6" TS DC duct, need a hole in the duct then install a saddle tap Y connector on the 6" duct. See:
www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=SCOLLECT33

Seems to be rather straight forwarded, but how-in-the-heck do I cut the hole in the existing 6" diameter duct?

Considered a 6" 45 degree Y -- See: https://www.oneida-air.com/inventory..._no=SCOLLECT41 -- but I would need to dismantle the existing duct and blast gate to install it.

Any ideas?
Grinder with a cutoff wheel...easy peazy. 

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
You might visit a tool rental and see if they have a 4" metal cutting hole saw to rent. (Just guessing it will be 4".)
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
What is your existing duct?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

If it's metal, tins snips were a great idea even 100 years ago.
If it's plastic, drill hole, then jigsaw and skinny metal blade.

One way with metal pipe; mark the hole 1" smaller in diameter and cut hole, then cut tabs 3/4" wide up to the actual size hole you marked. Use the tabs (every other one or so) to secure the pipe with short rivets- or fastener of your choice that won't be inclined to trap dust or debris.
Like the seldom used tools in my shop, I can't find it when I need it. But I used to have a link in my favorites where you could enter the sizes of the two pipes and the angle they meet and then print out full size templates for the pipe end and the hole it matches up to. I thought I got it here, but still can't find it. Anybody have that link available?
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(10-30-2017, 10:03 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Like the seldom used tools in my shop, I can't find it when I need it. But I used to have a link in my favorites where you could enter the sizes of the two pipes and the angle they meet and then print out full size templates for the pipe end and the hole it matches up to. I thought I got it here, but still can't find it. Anybody have that link available?

I've been looking for that link, too.  I used it when I made the duct network in my shop, as I made my own takeoffs from straight duct.  And oddly, your post just now reminded me that I kept a file on the cyclone and duct build project, and sure enough, the templates are still there.  
Cool  I must-a got the 'keep a file' thing from my dad.  
Laugh 

Here's the link, taken from the url at the bottom of the template printouts.

http://www.harderwoods.com/pipe.html
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(10-31-2017, 06:21 AM)TDKPE Wrote: I've been looking for that link, too.  I used it when I made the duct network in my shop, as I made my own takeoffs from straight duct.  And oddly, your post just now reminded me that I kept a file on the cyclone and duct build project, and sure enough, the templates are still there.  
Cool  I must-a got the 'keep a file' thing from my dad.  
Laugh 

Here's the link, taken from the url at the bottom of the template printouts.

Thanks Tom! It's back in my favorites in the "cool things" folder.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(10-31-2017, 06:21 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Here's the link, taken from the url at the bottom of the template printouts.

Cool
Cool
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Gents: thanks for the ideas. Ordered the saddle tap from Oneida. What I am 'gonna' do is take the saddle tap and DC pipe section to hold the tap to a two local sheet metal shops for ideas. Sometimes green paper with portraits of dead presidents works wonders when you need a helping hand. Thanks again!