New snow blower
(10-30-2017, 07:28 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Where are you located, I just don't want to jinx you and do something contrary if you are  my neighbor.  BTW, we got a public sidewalk installed this summer, we will get hammered in La Crosse, WI.
Poughkeepsie, NY.  A few years back we got 10" the first week in October and it took me 4½ hours to get home from work.

This year we have not had our first frost yet, and the 10 day forecast does not show a night below 32 degrees coming up.

Snow is a pain in the butt, and my old crappy MDT died last year (it was slowly succumbing over the last few years).  I've been living up here for 20+ years.  Only one year went by where I did not have to fire up the snowblower.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Consider it "snow insurance". About 15 years ago, we lost power for a few days, due to a storm. This was the second time it happened in a few years. So a week or so later I purchased a small generator that would run about one appliance at a time. Well I've used it once, and that was mostly just to see how it worked after power was out for a few hours. I start it up a couple times a year to exercise it, and run new gas thru it. It is a great insurance policy.
(10-31-2017, 07:24 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Consider it "snow insurance".  About 15 years ago, we lost power for a few days, due to a storm.   This was the second time it happened in a few years.  So a week or so later I purchased a small generator that would run about one appliance at a time.  Well I've used it once, and that was mostly just to see how it worked after power was out for a few hours.  I start it up a couple times a year to exercise it, and run new gas thru it.  It is a great insurance policy.

My father used to carry a old fashioned manual air pump in the trunk of his car.  One day I needed to add air to my bicycle tires.  I asked to borrow it.  The leather seals had dried up and it would not pump air.

My father was very upset.  He said, "All this time I carried that in my trunk and it was worthless."  I replied, "Not really worthless.  For all those years it gave you peace of mind."
Big Grin
[Image: 31201469-Asian-cyclist-pumping-air-to-bi...-Photo.jpg]
(10-31-2017, 07:24 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Consider it "snow insurance".  About 15 years ago, we lost power for a few days, due to a storm.   This was the second time it happened in a few years.  So a week or so later I purchased a small generator that would run about one appliance at a time.  Well I've used it once, and that was mostly just to see how it worked after power was out for a few hours.  I start it up a couple times a year to exercise it, and run new gas thru it.  It is a great insurance policy.

I spent about $7K on a whole house NG generator after we lost power for about 24 hours.  That was 4 years ago.  I don't think the power has been out for longer than an hour since. 

But I do need to repair or replace my snow blower.   I need it several times a year as we typically get around 40" spread across the winter.  197X Wheelhorse; something breaks on it several times a year now and I'm getting tired of fixing it.  

I love Winter.  I don't like driving in it, but snow beats heat and humidity any day for me.  

John
I grabbed my Dad's snowblower last week, as he doesn't need it any more, figuring I could get it going and leave it, and use it, at my in-laws' house.  Anything but shoveling.  

Some of my siblings had tried and failed to start it, so I figured it was due to old fuel that dried out and is gumming up the works.  It hasn't run in probably 13 years, since he passed away.  

Opened it up, and of course there's dried fuel and some leaks, but when I pulled the flywheel cover I discovered the flywheel scrapes the magneto.  Turns out the main bearing is worn and the shaft actually moves enough that I can wiggle the flywheel.  So much for that.

At least I can salvage the 120V starter system and retrofit it onto mine.  Same 5 hp Tecumseh Snow King engine.  Probably not worth trying to replace the main bearings, especially since I don't know what else is wrong with it.  

It does make a spark, though.  So there's that . . .  
Laugh

We average 100" per season, so shoveling their driveway gets old real quick.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(10-30-2017, 03:26 PM)Cooler Wrote: I got a new Toro 24" dual stage snow blower delivered to the house last weekend.  It was 76 degrees.  

The week before I had new nokian hakkapeliitta r2 suv winter tires put on my car and it was 79 degrees.

I predict that there will be no snow at all in 2017.
Big Grin

I'll make a review of the snow blower if it ever snows again in my lifetime.

Feel free to upgrade your AC unit next spring...we could use another temperate summer
Smile
I think this will be the 4th winter for my Husqvarna snow blower.  It has been a life saver for me.  As I got a little older, shoveling snow several times a season had long ago lost it's "charm".  For 30+ years, my FIL plowed his driveway and mine with his old Farmall M, but that tractor lacked, shall we say, "finesse" and there were still lots of areas where I had to hand shovel, to clean out between the vehicles and next to the house, where the plow just tore up the yard.  The first 2 winters, the blower got regular use.  FIL actually retired the M, which was good, because I no longer had to patch up the large divots or clean up the piles of limestone in the yard from a season's plowing.  Last year we had a mild winter, with little snow.  I think I had it out twice and probably didn't really need it either of those times.  This year, they are predicting a return to normal winter temps and a little more snow than usual, so I anticipate getting plenty of use out of it this season.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

When I moved up here 20 years ago, I was 49 and my neighbor was 69.  I've been clearing his driveway for the past 20 years.  I don't mind.  He's a wonderful guy.  

But now I'm 69, and I'm a wonderful guy too.  Where's the guy who is supposed to be clearing my driveway?
Big Grin
Bought a new 27" Husky two years ago,I am in my early 70s,it is easy to use,power stearing and heated grips.Also electric start,I have electricity in my shed.Also bought a 10,000 watt generator.Have a plug on the wall on my deck and the genny has a shelter over it.Wire is run to a genny panel and I had an electrician friend wire it for me.Have only used it twice,but is there when I need it.Oh yeah it is electric start as well.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I used the new Toro snow blower this morning and it worked fine.  The engine surges and I will have to talk to the dealer about that.  And it proceeds at a much higher rate of speed than my old MTD snow blower.  On the highest setting I would have to jog to keep up.

I now wish I bought the model with the heated hand grips.  I was working in 4 degree cold and very windy conditions and my hands got very cold.

I also will report that the new Nokian winter tires are fabulous.  They are quiet on the pavement and proved themselves very, very capable in the deep snow.  Consumers Reports say that the winter tires stop in about 1/3 the distance of regular all season tires.

My car stopped and handled very well.  Going up hill was a breeze (aided by the all wheel drive).  Highly recommended.  

Also note that on one of the hyper-mileage websites they said their range increased with the Nokians compared with the OEMs.

https://www.consumerreports.org/products.../overview/

Does anyone make an accessory hand heater for snow blowers?