Table top: Breadboard ends and natural edges
I am working on a table top for a customer and am looking for a little input from all you smart folks. As the subject line says, the table has breadboard ends but it also has natural edge all the way around. The natural edge is facing down and essentially serving the purpose of a big chamfer. The problem, of course, is where the outer boards of the edge-glued portion or the table meet with the end grain of the breadboard end. I have some idea how to deal with the situation but I'm always given a couple ideas that I'd never think of when I go fishing for ideas here on Woodnet.

So obviously the picture is upside down but you should still get the idea. Ever since the software switch I've had trouble posting pic. It seems like a crap shoot whether or not a picture will post the right way, regardless of its orientation on my PC. I'll have to post in another area with that problem though.

How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
So effectively you have straight edges on table, but the camber underneath is a natural live edge?

In that case I'd just grab a weapon of mass destruction and round off the lower end of the breadboard to approximately match contour of the main table board. I'm guessing all 4 corners will be slightly different profiles, hence just free handing it with a power planer / belt sander or similar. 

Is that one of your ideas? 
Smile
You've essentially described the problem. The edges of the table will have at least some square, sawn profile as well as some natural edge chamfer underneath. I don't really see a way around trimming off a potion of the ends of the breadboard. I was thinking of using a handsaw so I can more closely match the angle of the live edge. My first intuition is to do it after glue up unless anyone can convince me otherwise. It may cut into the tongue and grove used to attach the breadboard end but I'm not imagining that being a problem, right?.

The one bright spot is that only 3 of the 4 edges will need a treatment. One of the boards transitions from natural edge back to a full, square edge at the end.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
I've done a similar thing and my favorite method is similar to what ianab said, only instead of grinding or sanding it to shape, I prefer to use a draw knife or similar cutting edge. Do this after glue-up and, cutting with the grain, use small slicing strokes so that each cut leaves a small slightly concave facet. The result will leave a fairly smooth and fairly natural looking surface. My preference would be to keep the tongue and groove far enough away from the corner so that this doesn't cut into it.
Please show some pictures when it's done.
Quote:I prefer to use a draw knife or similar cutting edge.

Yeah that would work fine. That's what I mean about "weapon of choice". I don't have a spokeshave, so I look around for the next best thing 
Wink