New Knew
Just received the latest Knew Concepts coping saw. They've only built 80 of these to see how much demand there is for this size.

I thought it would be a responsive saw for removing dovetail waste.

Cliff

Attached Files Image(s)

‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
(10-31-2017, 04:38 PM)cpolubin Wrote: Just received the latest Knew Concepts coping saw. They've only built 80 of these to see how much demand there is for this size.

I thought it would be a responsive saw for removing dovetail waste.

Cliff

Does that blade turn?
Rumour has it, that that saw's inventor has passed away.....
Sad
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Mike,

Yes, it turns a full 360 with locking stops every 45 degrees.

bandit571,

Lee Marshall did pass away but his company continues.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
(10-31-2017, 05:44 PM)cpolubin Wrote: Mike,

Yes,  it turns a full 360 with locking stops every 45 degrees.

bandit571,

Lee Marshall did pass away but his company continues.

Cliff

Is that the one @ $99 with the powdercoat finish?
So, what is the size?  If it's a coping saw with a standard blade, is the blade clearance 3"?  No context to judge based on just the pic.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(10-31-2017, 08:18 PM)AHill Wrote: So, what is the size?  If it's a coping saw with a standard blade, is the blade clearance 3"?  No context to judge based on just the pic.

Very nice looking saw.  

Not larger than necessary! (For dovetail waste.)

David Charlesworth
(11-01-2017, 04:09 AM)David Charlesworth Wrote: Very nice looking saw.  

Not larger than necessary! (For dovetail waste.)

David Charlesworth

It could be this one:   http://www.knewconcepts.com/3-inch.php

It is the same saw as the original 5", except in 3", (and the same price, I might add).  I think this is an answer to the problem that they had with users over-tensioning the aluminum saws and ruining the frame.  In 5-inch they are recommending the saw with the bright red powder-coat finish, which is a stronger construction: http://www.knewconcepts.com/Mk4.php
It's 3" clearance.

Cliff
Charles Bukowski
I've had one of the "360 coping saws" in 8" format for 12 months.

Lee was a good friend. A warm and generous man. I collaborated with him on the design for the original woodworker's fretsaw. Every now-and-then a pizza box would appear in the post with an updated version.

A couple of days ago I received an email from Lee's partner, Sheryl, mentioning his memorial ..

LEE'S MEMORIAL
Sunday, November 5th from 1:30 PM to 4:00 PM
Dream Inn Santa Cruz - Surf View Room
175 W Cliff Dr, Santa Cruz, CA

Here is an earlier titanium 8" fretsaw and the 360 8" coping saw mechanisms (I changed the handle - I used to bug Lee to upgrade the handle!
Smile )

[Image: Saw4a.jpg]

Here is the new 360 alongside the original 8" (on the right) I received from Lee that got the whole ball rolling. I suggested changes to the saw (45 degree change - the original was a fixed blade), and that morphed into a fretsaw for woodworkers for dovetails. I was amused that, at that time, Lee had no clue what a dovetail was.

[Image: Saw3.jpg]

Believe it or not, I think there are a few more lurking in a drawer ...
Smile

[Image: saw1.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com