Help Choosing a Spindle Sander
I'm thinking about buying a spindle sander for a project I'm working on and for occasional use afterward. I'v always used a sanding drum on my drill press, but a spindle sander would be much handier. There seem to be three types: The big, floor standing industrial models, the more substantial "bench top" ones like Jet and maybe Delta, and the inexpensive, smaller bench tops like Rigid, Triton and others. The big boys are out of consideration because of both price and space requirements, so I'm looking at a bench top. I originally thought I'd buy the Rigid, but recent reviews have been terrible. What do you have/use and how do you like it? What do you recommend? I'd particularly like to hear from Rigid owners. How long have you had your machine and how well does it perform? It seems that the newer ones sold after about 2014 are subject to lots of criticism. Do you have a newer model that performs well?
TIA.

Hank
(11-01-2017, 11:35 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: I'm thinking about buying a spindle sander for a project I'm working on and for occasional use afterward. I'v always used a sanding drum on my drill press, but a spindle sander would be much handier. There seem to be three types: The big, floor standing industrial models, the more substantial "bench top" ones like Jet and maybe Delta, and the inexpensive, smaller bench tops like Rigid, Triton and others. The big boys are out of consideration because of both price and space requirements, so I'm looking at a bench top. I originally thought I'd buy the Rigid, but recent reviews have been terrible. What do you have/use and how do you like it? What do you recommend? I'd particularly like to hear from Rigid owners. How long have you had your machine and how well does it perform? It seems that the newer ones sold after about 2014 are subject to lots of criticism. Do you have a newer model that performs well?
TIA.

Hank

The ridgid is a great unit.  It's really, really good at what it does.
(11-01-2017, 11:35 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: I'm thinking about buying a spindle sander for a project I'm working on and for occasional use afterward. I'v always used a sanding drum on my drill press, but a spindle sander would be much handier. There seem to be three types: The big, floor standing industrial models, the more substantial "bench top" ones like Jet and maybe Delta, and the inexpensive, smaller bench tops like Rigid, Triton and others. The big boys are out of consideration because of both price and space requirements, so I'm looking at a bench top. I originally thought I'd buy the Rigid, but recent reviews have been terrible. What do you have/use and how do you like it? What do you recommend? I'd particularly like to hear from Rigid owners. How long have you had your machine and how well does it perform? It seems that the newer ones sold after about 2014 are subject to lots of criticism. Do you have a newer model that performs well?
TIA.

Hank

I have a delta boss had it since they first came out. still working fine, great for bandsaw boxes were a belt won't work. sometimes I wish It had a longer spindle though.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(11-01-2017, 01:24 PM)Woodshop Wrote: I have a delta boss had it since they first came out. still working fine, great for bandsaw boxes were a belt won't work.  sometimes I wish It had a longer spindle though.

I think everyone will tell you how they like theirs, so I will add the grizzly osculating spindle sander which I really like a lot.  I also reverse the paper when it is not good on the one side.

This is the one I have

http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-3-HP-O...nder/G0538

I would like to have this one also which is like the ridged

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Oscillat...der/T27417

and my friend has this one and loves it

http://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(spindle...+OR+sander)#
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I have the Grizzly ( 1st ) one Arlin linked to. It has a melimine/MDF top. Happy with it, but have never used any of the others.
They don't make it anymore, but if you can find a Porter Cable 121 it will likely meet all your needs.  Can be used handheld as well as table mounted like a router.  Pretty small to store as well.  From the old days of well made Porter Cable tools.
TIA.

Hank

The Ridgid is good (at least 6-7 years ago when I had it) if your basically sanding under 1" wood. The spindle is only like 2-1/2" tall IIRC. 

I have the benchtop jet now. Its a good compromise. Doesn't take up a bunch of floor space for a longer spindle, but has a 5" or so spindle length and easily has enough power to use most of it (I use 3-4" thickness often) and I store it under a workbench. Weighs maybe 60 pounds....nice cast iron top. 

I chose that route over a stationary machine cause I didn't want to kill that footprint in my shop for something I use a few dozen times a year.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I have the old Harbor Freight one that works really good.
I have said it before, and will say it again, the Ridgid is a toy. But it is a good toy. Mine is like 10 year sold or something like that and it has never disappointed me.
But my work is not heavy, or production.

Now the OP says it gets bad reviews. Perhaps the newer ones have been engineered down.
Ag
I have heard good things about the ridgid,but I have a Ryobi bench top.Bought it about 12 years ago at HD and have never had a problem with it.Don't know if they are still being made.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member