I need your pictures of your DC ducting
I believe it is called Dacron batting. It is about 1” thick.
(11-07-2017, 11:07 PM)Cian Wrote: That's exactly what I did.  7" at the DC reduced to 6" mains with 4" gates to the machines.  Typically I'll only have one gate open at a time, but the tablesaw does require 2 for typical cutting operations - one for the over the table blade hood and another for the cabinet base (which leads to a shroud around the blade).  However, I've mistakenly left another gate open at the same time but it still pulls the dust effectively.

[Image: IMG_1768.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1802_1024.jpg]

I gotta admit, its amazing how dust free your shop always is. I keep mine clean, yours is always a  museum. 
Yes

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(11-08-2017, 10:21 PM)packerguy® Wrote: I gotta admit, its amazing how dust free your shop always is. I keep mine clean, yours is always a  museum. 
Yes

Thanks Steve, but shop pics are like photos of people's kids.  You usually only see pics of them when they're dressed in their Sunday best and hardly ever with mud on their face. 
Laugh  It's pretty cluttered in my shop at the moment (okay, maybe VERY cluttered), and certainly even more so when I'm actually even doing woodworking. 
Slap  However, it is dust-free and I do prefer a clean and organized shop.  It has saddened me to see guys having to walk away from the hobby due to developed breathing or allergy problems, and unfortuntely I've seen a few posts because of that in here over the years.  That was my biggest worry given my smaller (12x30) confined space, but I'd like to to think I've done what I can to minimize that happening to myself.  The expense was worth it, because I do love this pastime.  It's a wonderful counter-balance my otherwise hectic life, which I hope to be doing well into my retirement years. 

Here's my other air quality consideration.  I have two window wells in my shop, and I made fixtures for each of them to hold a furnace filter in one and a fan (mounted on clear plexi to allow as much light to still come in) blowing outward in the other.  This provides "filtered" fresh air during the nicer months, but I also open the windows and engage the fan when I am applying finishes.

[Image: IMG_2492.jpg] 
[Image: IMG_2471.jpg]
It's all about the journey for me.  Ultimately, the woodshop itself was its own wwing project, and if it wasn't enjoyable (and safe), I'd most certainly lose interest.
(11-08-2017, 12:42 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Arlin, here is another cost saving tip that will help you with dust collection. Buy yourself some cheap 20” box fans and mount them in boxes on the ceiling to collect ambient dust. If you look at the ceiling in the two photos you can see two of mine. The filter media can be picked up at Joann fabric pretty cheap. The fan is pointed toward the ceiling to pull air through the fabric. I have all of them on a switched outlet. You would be amazed at how much dust they pull from the air. When the filter gets dirty I just go over with my shop vac and vacuum the dust off and they are good an new again.

photo 660A98F6-3044-414D-87BA-09034F58D097_zpssdkewenj.jpg

photo 33F1600B-807F-404A-94B0-66A97A211C7B_zpsd9wt3ldp.jpg

Thanks Dave for the idea, but I already have a Rikon 3 speed air cleaner in my garage and it will be going in the shop.  I also will have a ceiling fan to help with the heating and cooling.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(11-03-2017, 11:56 PM)Cian Wrote: Dave speaks with wisdom, and I would take his advice seriously.

Now as one who never claimed to be wise, here's my setup:
[Image: IMG_1766.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1765.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1798_1024.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1807_1024.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1805_1024.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1808.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1890.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2577.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2578.jpg]
[Image: 20141004_160018.jpg]
I use six inch mains with four inch connections.  Even with the 15" helical planer at the end of the 35' line, it still gets all of it as the couple bags above show.  There are multiple bends and I used two 45s vs a single 90 at all turns as is the best practice.  I'm admittedly OCD, and my workshop doubles as my gunsmithing and reloading room depending on the season, and there is never any sawdust film to be found on any surfaces.  I run an air scrubber during any wwing machining operations as well. Having this excellent dust collection setup makes working in my basement shop possible and enjoyable.  Hope this helps.

Cian what size is the 3-way wye shown at the bottom of a drop and where did you but it from?
War Eagle!
(11-10-2017, 02:31 PM)WarEagle Todd Wrote: Cian what size is the 3-way wye shown at the bottom of a drop and where did you but it from?

Hey Todd -

The PVC is simply S&D rated.  That wye has all 4" ports if that is what you are asking.  I got it at one of the local home centers - maybe from Home Depot but most likely Menards.

[Image: IMG_1768.jpg]
Cian, out of curiosity how often do you clean your filter? I have a big grizzly cyclone. It’s about 10 months old now with thousands of gallons of sawdust through it and I don’t think I even have a tbs of dust in the bag under the filter. The filter has an internal cleaning brush and when I use it nothing drops off the filter. I see you have a gauge on yours. Have you lost and vacuum over time? The Oneida 5 hp unit was my second choice but I just got more for my money with the grizzly. I’m guessing that the separation ic comparable.
Hey David -  Sounds like you may have a very efficient cyclone, but dont use dust in the bowl as an indicator since by design the dust would be trapped in the filter media per the airflow.  Ive blown the filter out twice (maybe?) since Ive owned it, but admittedly havent been very consistent wwing-wise the last few years either.  I know I haven't cleaned the filter since I had installed the Magnehelic and that was three years ago.  The Oneida manual states to clean the filter when I observe a 3" change in static pressure.  Oneida originally published that my unit provides an 8.9" static column when new, but that's probably in an ideal air tight state right at the inlet or fan housing outlet.  When I first installed the Magnehelic, I didnt have a pristine filter, and it read about 8.3" IIRC (reassuring) and this is upstream of the two metal 45s and that first wye).  In any case, it's supposed to be used as a relative measurement, and currently reads at 7.5".  I'll probably wait until it gets down to around 7" (versus ~5.9") before blowing the filter out again.  The Magnehelic is nice because it does remove guessing as to when its necessary to clean the media.

[Image: 20141004_115531.jpg]
I think I remember 2 to 4 years ago this was a big to do about all of what you did and how others did the same.  It looks like yours is still working great.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.