I need your pictures of your DC ducting
(11-06-2017, 04:09 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Hairy

I have the same Oneida dust deputy on a 60 gallon trash can that I wheel out to the ditch when it is full and I have to think of how to incorporate that too.

I have bungee cords attached to the ceiling. I unlatch the barrel snap ring, and the dust deputy just hangs there while I empty the drum.

Attached Files Image(s)

(11-03-2017, 10:20 AM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Arlin, here is a little nugget of wisdom I got when I was putting in the ductwork for my big DC. Originally my plan was to use PVC. I very quickly found out that with the number of 90’s and wye’s I needed it was going to cost me a small fortune. After that I decided to price out what I needed at Home Depot using HVAC ductwork. Pricing all the 6” HVAC duct work and the 4” pvc for a few of the machine drops came out to $400. The problem was the only 6” pipe they had was 30 gauge which I had already found out my dust collector was powerful enough to crush if I closed off the system. I backed up and regrouped. I found myself a HVAC and plumbing supply wearhouse. I told them what I wanted to do and just set up a homeowner type account since I wouldn’t be continually buying parts. Through them I was able to buy all 26 gauge pipe and fittings as well as the PVC for less than $100. On top of that I made a few friends and they gave me a urinal to put in my shop bathroom. I would guess you will have a large plumbing and HVAC warehouse close and should be able to do much the same.

+1 on the HVAC piping. Easy to work with, easy to screw together, hang from the ceiling and seal with the foil tape or the brush on sealer. 

With that said, with a small shop, I struggled with piping over the years and now I have a Oneida Mini Gorilla, which is a 1-1/2 HP hepa cyclone and all I use is a 25' rockler expandable hose that I move from tool to tool. It took me years to come to the realization that if one machine is running at a time (and in my case one guy is working at a time, in the rare case two are working, the second is sanding or doing something that doesn't create a need for the DC)

I just think piping should be done when there is a need. 90% of hobby woodworkers dont NEED piping.

With that said, I understand your situation and the convenience of opening a gate instead of moving a hose from tool to tool, hence the endorsement of the HVAC piping.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

A couple things Arlin. When you run you duct work be sure you run 6”. I know you have been talking about getting a bigger dust collector. Anything over 1 hp will need the 6” ductwork or you will suffocate the machine. Even if you have a small dust collector now you don’t want to have to completely replace the duct work when you upgrade the collector. The other thing I will add is whatever you figure for fittings, double it. As you can see in Cian’s duct work (which is very well done I might add) he has a lot more fittings than you would probably think you needed to start. That is what happened to me. At $25-30 per fitting it doesn’t take long to end up with as much invested in your duct work as you would have in a good cyclone dust collector. One last thing. Buy the good metal blast gates. The cheap plastic ones are just that, cheap. They will not last with heavy use.
(11-06-2017, 11:28 PM)packerguy® Wrote: I just think piping should be done when there is a need. 90% of hobby woodworkers dont NEED piping.

Well, I'm sure none of us NEED a cabinet tablesaw either, but that hasn't stopped any of us either. 
Smirk
I finally saved enough and this DC which has went down $30 and now I have a 5% discount from Grizzly so I can afford it.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/3HP-Doub...rizzly.com

This has 7" duct and I will put a 6" reducer on it and keep it that way until that way until at the last second and then put the gate on with the 4" hose.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(11-07-2017, 02:36 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I finally saved enough and this DC which has went down $30 and now I have a 5% discount from Grizzly so I can afford it.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/3HP-Doub...rizzly.com

Cool
Cool
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-07-2017, 02:36 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: This has 7" duct and I will put a 6" reducer on it and keep it that way until that way until at the last second and then put the gate on with the 4" hose.

That's exactly what I did.  7" at the DC reduced to 6" mains with 4" gates to the machines.  Typically I'll only have one gate open at a time, but the tablesaw does require 2 for typical cutting operations - one for the over the table blade hood and another for the cabinet base (which leads to a shroud around the blade).  However, I've mistakenly left another gate open at the same time but it still pulls the dust effectively.

[Image: IMG_1768.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1802_1024.jpg]
(11-07-2017, 11:07 PM)Cian Wrote: That's exactly what I did.  7" at the DC reduced to 6" mains with 4" gates to the machines.  Typically I'll only have one gate open at a time, but the tablesaw does require 2 for typical cutting operations - one for the over the table blade hood and another for the cabinet base (which leads to a shroud around the blade).  However, I've mistakenly left another gate open at the same time but it still pulls the dust effectively.

[Image: IMG_1768.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1802_1024.jpg]

That over arm collector is way above my pay grade and probably pay for the DC I want to get.  Also I could buy a lot of turning kits for the guys or even pay for the Non Profit and I feel right now we could not use anything like that but the DC is a health solution and I feel it is a must to have.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin, here is another cost saving tip that will help you with dust collection. Buy yourself some cheap 20” box fans and mount them in boxes on the ceiling to collect ambient dust. If you look at the ceiling in the two photos you can see two of mine. The filter media can be picked up at Joann fabric pretty cheap. The fan is pointed toward the ceiling to pull air through the fabric. I have all of them on a switched outlet. You would be amazed at how much dust they pull from the air. When the filter gets dirty I just go over with my shop vac and vacuum the dust off and they are good an new again.

photo 660A98F6-3044-414D-87BA-09034F58D097_zpssdkewenj.jpg

photo 33F1600B-807F-404A-94B0-66A97A211C7B_zpsd9wt3ldp.jpg
Dave, is that just quilt batting?

That’s some impressive machinery you've packed in there.
-Marc