Help Diagnose Fridge Water Inlet Problems
My wife would of had a new refrigerator delivered by now. And since that would not match the range......

Now old is the Fridge you are working on???

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
3 years. I bought it new in August of '14.
have you checked to see if the water line is frozen? I used string trimmer line stuck up the nozzle in the door to check mine when mine froze.
Call the man.

So yesterday I called and scheduled a diagnostic visit for Wednesday with "the man".

And equipped with this new found motivation to avoid the diagnostic fee, I dove it again last night. I took an old cord and put spade connectors on it so I could attach it to the primary water valve. First, I tested the old valve. Yep, can hear & feel the solenoid move & hold there, and move back when I unplug it.

I removed the water supply line from the primary valve so I could rule out any low water pressure issues. I put the line in a cup and cracked the valve. Water sprayed into the cup. So we definitely have adequate water pressure. I reconnected the line and wired up the primary valve to the dedicated cord.

LOML held the water dispenser in as I plugged in the cord. Nothing, no water, no noises, no vibration, nothing. Oh yeah, the water valve is still closed. Let me turn it back on. Retry, now the valve is knocking like it has been. So I pondered as to why it wasn't knocking the first time. Water pressure may have been too high. So I turn the valve down to about 1/3 open. Valve sounds fine and water comes out. Problem solved. I refilled my glass a couple of times. She filled the coffee pot. I heard the ice maker cycle a couple of times. We're good.

And then this morning she texts me on my way to work and tells me it's not working again. What puzzles me is the fridge was installed when new and has had full pressure on it for three years. Why would it be too much pressure now? So for all of you who thought the water pressure was the culprit, you may be partially correct. I hold my hat in humble respectfulness.
Even with the valve just cracked it will build up full pressure over time
Pressure reducing valve, or a regulator, maybe?
I'm considering a regulator. I can't understand why it sat for three years under full pressure, and then all of a sudden it's too much. Does the solenoid get weaker over time? If so, how come the new solenoid behaved badly right out of the box?

I believe fixtureman may be on the right track. A partially closed valve is just like an orifice. Only affects flow, not pressure. Let's say right after I put everything back together things were hunky dory for an hour or so. But eventually pressure built back up enough overnight to cause issues again.

Maybe I can get a new tool out of the deal.
City water? Maybe the pressure changed. When we moved in our house the pressure was about 45 psi. Few months later, it jumped up to 80 psi. Pipes were banging and you could hear the valves working harder in the toilets. Put in a restrictor on the main line and dropped it to down to 45 psi or there abouts.