Lathe extension bed support
When I purchased my Jet mini lathe I built a stand based on plans in the March 2008 issue of Wood Magazine. I added locking casters and a drawer. I also got the extension bed even though I knew I did not have room to have it installed all the time. I was certain a quick Internet search would result in multiple examples of supports for the extension bed that would fold easily out of the way but be solid when in use. This was in 2013. The intervening years found me using cobbled together supports from a Workmate, garbage cans, pieces of wood and miscellaneous detritus which I am too embarrassed to prove with a photograph.

After several failed attempts I finally came up with this idea. It goes together in about 10 minutes, all parts store neatly on board the lathe stand when not in use and it is very stable. Just as important I can assemble / disassemble it with a 7/16" wrench and nut driver. The weight of the extension bed is supported by a 3/4" x 4" brace made of marine grade plywood which is pinned to the lathe stand by a 4" butt hinge. The top of the brace engages an angled block.

3 butt hinges, a snap latch, a rare earth magnet and 1/4" nuts & and bolts make up the hardware used. All items were found in my stash of miscellaneous parts collected over the years.

When not in use the folding arms lay flat against the lathe stand and are held in position by a snap latch and rare earth magnet respectively. The removable table and brace store under and on the back of the lathe stand respectively.

The only part of the process that requires precision is aligning the slots of the extension bed with the fixed bed. Since the height remains the same it only needs to be set once.

It took me a few years but the design works.

That photo of the stand sitting on end is included to show the simple mounting blocks for the table. That was also the day I noticed the single post casters had worked loose. Adding a lock washer has taken care of that problem.

Thanks for looking.

Bill

Attached Files Image(s)

Very impressive.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood