Used Hammer A3-31 PJointer/Planer
I saw the ad on the local Craigslist for a used Hammer A3-31 jointer/planer at a good price, but as with all things there's a catch: it won't spin up. The ad copy says:

"The motor is okay, and the capacitors have just been swapped out. But I'm at a loss for troubleshooting the rest of the electrical system though the machine will not spin up, but it's trying to. Can't afford the lost-time to figure out the issue. "

I'm trying to decide if I should take a chance that it's a bad switch, a short, or frozen bearings. This is exactly the kind of machine I've been looking for the last couple of years (it even has the mortising attachment with it), but I'm a bit hesitant. I've got the time to track down the issue, and as far as I know there are no electronics in the thing, so I SHOULD be able to figure it out. What are people's thoughts?
Jason

(11-02-2017, 05:07 PM)Jason28 Wrote: I saw the ad on the local Craigslist for a used Hammer A3-31 jointer/planer at a good price, but as with all things there's a catch: it won't spin up. The ad copy says:

"The motor is okay, and the capacitors have just been swapped out. But I'm at a loss for troubleshooting the rest of the electrical system though the machine will not spin up, but it's trying to. Can't afford the lost-time to figure out the issue. "

I'm trying to decide if I should take a chance that it's a bad switch, a short, or frozen bearings. This is exactly the kind of machine I've been looking for the last couple of years (it even has the mortising attachment with it), but I'm a bit hesitant. I've got the time to track down the issue, and as far as I know there are no electronics in the thing, so I SHOULD be able to figure it out. What are people's thoughts?

That is a very well thought of machine.  If the asking price is at least $1000 less than you would be willing to pay for a used one I say buy it if it otherwise checks out OK.  That should cover a new motor and switch gear, if needed, assuming you can do the work.  If the cutterhead turns over by hand then the bearings aren't the source of problem.  Not saying they might not need to be replaced though for other reasons.

John
I have this machine with the silent head, and it is exceptional. It is worth pursuing if you know what you are doing and the price is right. Keep in mind that Felder do not sell the spiral (silent) head separately for retrofit. However you can get an aftermarket version, if you wish.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
its about as simple a machine as you can ask for
If the head is rotating smoothly I would certainly get it
Might be stuck on a large wood chip or have a siezed up belt freezing rotation somehow.
(11-02-2017, 05:07 PM)Jason28 Wrote: I saw the ad on the local Craigslist for a used Hammer A3-31 jointer/planer at a good price, but as with all things there's a catch: it won't spin up. The ad copy says:

More than likely the centrifugal switch has dirty/corroded contacts.  It the motor is a true TEFC motor, the motor will have to be disassembled to clean the contacts using a fine file.  

Greg
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
A Hammer A3 31 has European electrics - pushing the start button doesn't do it - you have to push the button and hold it in until the motor is running.

I don't think they have a start capacitor
^ correct you are sir, as I own one and can tell you first hand they warn you over and over about it when you purchase and all through the documentation.
Jason28 I don't know what the asking price is, but a new one with a silent head and the smaller extensions and "digital" readout is right in the ball park of $5,500-6,000 USD, you might consider emailing Felder and asking the tech's what it could possibly be, their support is fairly helpful.
(11-03-2017, 12:40 PM)bandsaw Wrote: A Hammer A3 31 has European electrics - pushing the start button doesn't do it - you have to push the button and hold it in until the motor is running.

I don't think they have a start capacitor

Actually they do have a start capacitor, it is the centrifugal switch that they don't have. Holding in the start button keeps the cap and start winding energized, that is why it needs to be held in until the motor is up to speed. Most likely the cap has failed, hopefully the start winding has not.
I'm standing by for an epic gloating thread.