bureaucratic monkey wrench thrown in shop plans
(11-03-2017, 11:36 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: A friend bought lake front property in the same town. He wanted to cut down some trees for a better view; the local inspectors told him he could not. He went to the Planning Board for a variance and explained that they were charging him extra for lake front property but he couldn't see the lake. They denied him and told him he could appeal it to the State level. That would require attorneys, Motions, money and time. He decided to just cut the trees down. The fine was $50 each for 9 trees. Done!
I vacation every year in Meredith, NH on Lake Waukewaun.  The neighbor next to the cabin I rent told me that a guy from the state runs a boat around the lake every spring to digitally map the trees on the shoreline.  Any trees that are missing are investigated. If the tree came down as a result of a storm you are all set but if you removed a healthy tree you will get a fine. I'm not sure what the process is to remove a diseased tree but I'm sure it is more complicated than it needs to be.
(11-04-2017, 12:56 PM)carwashguy Wrote: I vacation every year in Meredith, NH on Lake Waukewaun.  The neighbor next to the cabin I rent told me that a guy from the state runs a boat around the lake every spring to digitally map the trees on the shoreline.  Any trees that are missing are investigated. If the tree came down as a result of a storm you are all set but if you removed a healthy tree you will get a fine. I'm not sure what the process is to remove a diseased tree but I'm sure it is more complicated than it needs to be.

Same here. My Mom had a fricking Pin Oak growing in the tree block in front of her house. It was damaged by a snow plow.
Yep, a snow plow. On the sidewalk. In a residential area.
Rolleyes
The county wanted her to pay for the removal & replanting of a number of trees to equal the diameter of the tree.
They didn't like it much when I pointed out quite bluntly to them that the tree was not on her property
and it was the county's responsibility to take care of the problem in the first place.

So, they tried a different tactic. They wanted her to pay for a permit to take down the tree.
No
I called my lawyer, who in turn called the Governor's office in Annapolis, and the Governor's office called the county.

End of story, and end of harassment. The tree was taken down, no money was exchanged, and no new trees were planted.
Fricking county thieves.
(11-04-2017, 01:57 PM)Herb G Wrote: ......
The county wanted her to pay for the removal & replanting of a number of trees to equal the diameter of the tree.

I'm all for trees... but that sits near the top of dumbest tree policies possible.  And they are not the only place to do that.

It is almost like they don't know the trees might grow.  I'd be darn tempted to plant several dozen (or a few hundred if need be) seedlings in a trench stacked right against each other just to account for the required diameter, then plant the one tree I want where I want separately.
as for trees falling over naturally I have found cutting the large roots help with that.  I don't ask for permission to do much because it always costs more than forgiveness also when I want to do something I don't have months to wait for permission
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(11-04-2017, 03:52 PM)Bob10 Wrote: as for trees falling over naturally I have found cutting the large roots help with that.  I don't ask for permission to do much because it always costs more than forgiveness also when I want to do something I don't have months to wait for permission

My aunt asked me to cut down a large oak that was too close to the house. One Saturday morning I climbed the tree and began lopping off large limbs. A neighbor called the township tree person .He told me I had to stop, only dead trees could be cut. When he left I girdled the tree as low as possible with the saw. Then shoveled some dirt around to hide the cut. I cut the dead tree down about 2 years later. 
mike
(11-03-2017, 12:59 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Just found out I missed the county board meeting to get a "provisional permit" so I can build my shop before I build my house on some property in the country.

Now I have to wait until Dec 7 to have a hearing so they can be sure I'm going to build my house because they're afraid I might just build the shop and not the house and then it could be taken over by unsavory folks, etc etc etc.

Yeah, my fault for missing last month's meeting but it still peeves me that bureaucrats can force folks to meet their schedules regardless of the cost to the folks who want to do things right.  Building in November is much easier than building in December around here.
Rolleyes

Not much of a rant because I'm too depressed to get really upset.
Sad

What?  Unsavory people don't own houses?
Big Grin  I'm in favor of both savory and unsavory people having houses.  But only savory people are entitled to a workshop.

When I lived in a Co-op I was amazed by how many people wanted to judge and rule on other peoples' lives.  The board members had to "approve" you in order for you to buy a co-op.  It is the last job in the world that I would want to have.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
there is a construction site near me that had the basement poured for the house and a large garage, but nothing was ever put on top.  This was obviously done years ago, probably 15.  I guess the townships have no control over things like that. I really like the location, thought about tracking down the owner.  but I wonder if they would let you build on top of what is there and if it's a good idea.  

You can see it here, apparently some of the slab wasn't poured.
(11-07-2017, 04:16 PM)Cooler Wrote: What?  Unsavory people don't own houses?
Big Grin  I'm in favor of both savory and unsavory people having houses.  But osewnly savory people are entitled to a workshop.

When I lived in a Co-op I was amazed by how many people wanted to judge and rule on other peoples' lives.  The board members had to "approve" you in order for you to buy a co-op.  It is the last job in the world that I would want to have.

My mom had a tree in her front yard that the city said couldn't be cut yet she wanted it gone.  I was probably 14 she said I should figure a way to get it done.  So I took to cutting the largest roots I could see as they were really the problem with lifting concrete and clogged sewer lines.  The tree started to show the effects when the girl down the street got cranky with her boy friend and drove like a bat out of hell our direction jumping the sidewalk and into the tree, I figure cutting the roots are what saved her life as the tree gave way.  Then we called the city to clean up their tree and they came out and measured distance from the street and said it was ours to clean up.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Cutting and girdling trees are good ways to cause whole tree failure. Not good when that happens at unpredictable times and uncondroled directions...

Herbicide would be a safer way to illegally kill trees if you are into that sort of thing...
There was a landmark building near where I live and the owners' wanted to tear it down and build new retail space.  

The landmark commission denied their request.

The building needed a new roof (and I suspect the owners aided in that need).  Some eight years later the building was condemned because of the water damage and the owners were ordered to tear it down.  The owners complied.
Big Grin
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.