bureaucratic monkey wrench thrown in shop plans
(11-07-2017, 04:16 PM)Cooler Wrote: What?  Unsavory people don't own houses?
Big Grin  I'm in favor of both savory and unsavory people having houses.  But only savory people are entitled to a workshop.

When I lived in a Co-op I was amazed by how many people wanted to judge and rule on other peoples' lives.  The board members had to "approve" you in order for you to buy a co-op.  It is the last job in the world that I would want to have.

Which is the reason I've never bought a house with a HOA, or any condo or co-op, only fee simple ownership.  I don't like fudge telling me what kind of landscaping I can plant, or what color to paint my house.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(11-07-2017, 06:48 PM)JosephP Wrote: Cutting and girdling trees are good ways to cause whole tree failure.  Not good when that happens at unpredictable times and uncondroled directions...

Herbicide would be a safer way to illegally kill trees if you are into that sort of thing...

Not understanding your post. Girdling entails removing bark only around the tree at the base, thus killing the tree.
Herbicide is injected into the tree, thus killing the tree.

Why is herbicide safer? It's a poison and costs money. Girdling costs nothing but your time spent.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-09-2017, 05:00 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Not understanding your post. Girdling entails removing bark only around the tree at the base, thus killing the tree.
Herbicide is injected into the tree, thus killing the tree.

Why is herbicide safer? It's a poison and costs money. Girdling costs nothing but your time spent.

Girdling sets a line for failure and a tree dying from herbicide can be taken down as it dies.  I would bet girdling is more apt to get blown over on to someone with a direct line back to the person that created the dangerous situation.  When I was 14 cutting the roots I made sure if the tree fell it would be towards us and not the street.  Proved to work as the girl that hit it with the car toppled it towards us there was ample clearance between the tree and the house so no big deal
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Girdling damages the sap wood and causes rapid decay there. The outter portions of a cylinder is where the strength is. You destroy that, you loose strength rapidly.
If the object is to kill the tree, you girdle it and next spring it is dead, you take it out.
I can't believe a tree will rot enough where you girdle it that it will fall over in 6 months.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-09-2017, 05:26 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: If the object is to kill the tree, you girdle it and next spring it is dead, you take it out.
I can't believe a tree will rot enough where you girdle it that it will fall over in 6 months.

"I would bet girdling is more apt to get blown over on to someone with a direct line back to the person that created the dangerous situation."

==it happens no reason to let it get all over you
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(11-09-2017, 04:36 PM)Admiral Wrote: Which is the reason I've never bought a house with a HOA, or any condo or co-op, only fee simple ownership.  I don't like fudge telling me what kind of landscaping I can plant, or what color to paint my house.

Yet it's likely you live under worse tyranny with city/township/zoning rules than most HOA's. I don't get it.

Every time I read one of these threads I thank god I live where I do.
"During times of universal deceit, Telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"

-- George Orwell
(11-04-2017, 03:20 PM)JosephP Wrote: I'm all for trees... but that sits near the top of dumbest tree policies possible.  And they are not the only place to do that.

It's in the state rules for townships for many states, the whole tree commission idea and how trees are to be planted and managed.

Around here, if you take down a tree without permission they make you replace it with a similar sized tree.  Some people tried to just ignore it, but they found the $20K lien the township put on their property after the township replaced the tree more burdensome than the $10K or so to replace the tree themselves.
(11-10-2017, 09:25 AM)Dave Mc Wrote: Yet it's likely you live under worse tyranny with city/township/zoning rules than most HOA's. I don't get it.

Every time I read one of these threads I thank god I live where I do.

HOAs governance seems to be taken over by horrible people on occasion.  Got to be careful.  I would think most HOAs have rules on top of the township rules, but I would never buy a house that had one. I'm sure I'd be violating something.
(11-10-2017, 12:45 PM)geek2me Wrote: Around here,

Where is here? This isn't the first time you've posted about some draconian laws in your area.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15