Anyone increase a tablesaw dust collection connection size?
Anyone increase a tablesaw dust collection connection size on a saw with an internal hose and shroud? I have an ICS sawstop and it has the internal shroud and  outside 4" port. I am thinking of bolting on a 6" or 8" nordfab angle flange adapter with the existing port inside it and then cutting additional half moon or some holes around where the flange hole will be but not enough to ruin the flange.

Anyone have other great ideas?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I still haven't figured out what the dc port on most tools is supposed to fit.  I have gotten really close to sawzalling out a hole around the existing port and fitting an aftermarket dc port to my PM 66.  I have  an Oneida 5" flanged port that would work
(11-03-2017, 01:05 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Anyone increase a tablesaw dust collection connection size on a saw with an internal hose and shroud? I have an ICS sawstop and it has the internal shroud and  outside 4" port. I am thinking of bolting on a 6" or 8" nordfab angle flange adapter with the existing port inside it and then cutting additional half moon or some holes around where the flange hole will be but not enough to ruin the flange.

I think the Wood Whisperer did in a video a zillion years ago IIRC. On a PM2K also IIRC. Anyway SOMEBODY made a youtube vid where they hogged out a 4" port to 6" to get better DC.

Howsomeever, I'm curious about your SS--my PCS has great DC with the existing factory gear. Is your ICS not sucking like you'd want? Why the desire for the change?
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" Arthur 'Big Guy' Carlson
That dust setup on the ICS is really not in keeping with the rest of the saw, quality. Had they went to 5" or 6" and worked things around inside a little it could have really been improved. As it is, I've thought about what you suggested (my version would destroy the factory flange, I would cut a 6" hole, maybe put the hose to one side of it) and so far haven't done it. Do you know how much air you're moving though it? I was pulling about 550 (measured) CFM though the 4" port and it was working halfway. I think the internal plumbing should be 5".
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-03-2017, 01:05 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Anyone increase a tablesaw dust collection connection size on a saw with an internal hose and shroud? I have an ICS sawstop and it has the internal shroud and  outside 4" port. I am thinking of bolting on a 6" or 8" nordfab angle flange adapter with the existing port inside it and then cutting additional half moon or some holes around where the flange hole will be but not enough to ruin the flange.

Do you have the overarm dust collection and dust shroud on your ICS? If not, even if you upgrade the size of the port, I doubt you will achieve the 99% d.c. efficiency.

I have the factory duct port and the overarm dust collection feature and see no need to upgrade anything.

Simon
I do not have over blade dc. I do plan to add it to it. My ics was made before there was the pcs or the overblade dc. It does ok with dc but dust still gets in the cabinet/ over the blade shroud door. I just put in a crazy big setup (4029 cfm, 18.9" impeller, 16.9 sp ) and have a 10" main smooth nordfab trunk and 8" drops so I can really up the game. I see zero reason to use 4" anymore or put up with the limited air flow just because a typical shop has a small dc and thats what they put on the saw. Lots of room for improvement for sure.

I modified my PM2k by removing the blade shroud from the 4" port and using a hole saw to cut a separate port for the shroud collection.  I then made a custom DC adapter to get both hoses in. 
I did that several years ago and posted pictures of it.  I got flamed for Cutting a hole in the saw....
Raised
The pictures are on my PC at work and I'm on my iPad right now.   Let me know if you'd like to see the pictures and I'll remote in and post them.
Dave
"Amateur Putzing in Shop." Northern Wood on Norm 5/07

"Dave's shop is so small you have to go outside to turn around" Big Dave on my old shop
So I built a new shop.  (Picasa went away so did the link to the pictures)
I would like to see them Dave please.

No flames from me on what you do to your own equipment. You only have to make yourself happy. I only flame people that put a jointer upside down from a ceiling
Wink

Mike, SawStop has a set of add on parts for the older ICS saws that improve the dust collection. I don’t know if you have the issues with problems getting your blade to lower all the way below the table but it helps with that too. I know the parts did make a difference with dust in the cabinet. For whatever reason the PCS seems to have much better dust collection. When you add the overarm guard they may be equal but with just the standard guard the PCS seems to perform better. With the PCS I use I clean the cabinet probably every 12-18 months and there is about an inch of sawdust in the bottom. With the ICS saws I use they need to be cleaned every few months and have several inches of saw dust in them. Before I added the add on parts I was vacuuming the saws out every few weeks.
I do have an Excalibur on my ICS. The factory overblade just wasn't going to do it for me...so I sold it to a guy who wanted to put it on a Rigid. The Excalibur works really well, but now I have a New Shark Guard basket to put on it as soon as I get things set up again.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.