aniline dye question
(11-05-2017, 08:48 PM)Roly Wrote: You might try adding the transtint to the finish to make a toner.   I have a feeling this is more what you are looking for.   Roly

You might be right; it would pretty much eliminate blotching.  You would have to use a WB or alcohol based product to make a toner with Transtint.  And you might be able to do a good job by hand with a waterborne toner, but shellac based toners are best done by spraying.  Doing it by hand is a humbling experience. 

John
(11-05-2017, 09:20 PM)jteneyck Wrote: You might be right; it would pretty much eliminate blotching.  You would have to use a WB or alcohol based product to make a toner with Transtint.  And you might be able to do a good job by hand with a waterborne toner, but shellac based toners are best done by spraying.  Doing it by hand is a humbling experience. 

John

You are correct about the oil based finishes.  I read you can mix the Transtint with acetone and it will mix with some oil based finishes.   I have not tried it.  I normally mix it with shellac and spray it.   Remember with toners you can layer it to achieve the correct color.   It is easy to tiger stripe when spraying toner. (when you don't want to )   Roly
(11-06-2017, 09:00 AM)Roly Wrote: You are correct about the oil based finishes.  I read you can mix the Transtint with acetone and it will mix with some oil based finishes.   I have not tried it.  I normally mix it with shellac and spray it.   Remember with toners you can layer it to achieve the correct color.   It is easy to tiger stripe when spraying toner. (when you don't want to )   Roly

I tried adding Transtint to acetone and then adding that to Arm-R-Seal.  It worked to a degree, but not well enough to actually use it for anything worthwhile.  I think you'd be better off making OB toners using oil soluble dyes or UTC's.  WD Lockwood makes oil soluble dyes and Homestead Finishing has a line of colorants that he claims are miscible in most anything.  They're called Cal-Tint.                

John
(11-05-2017, 08:48 PM)Roly Wrote: You might try adding the transtint to the finish to make a toner.   I have a feeling this is more what you are looking for.   Roly

Oh!  That I hadn't thought of, but now that you mention it, yes, I suspect it is what I wanted but didn't know.  Boy, there are a lot of ways to use aniline dyes that I never thought of.

Thanks!

--Ben