Lift Top Coffee Table Mechanism
Does anyone have experience with lift top mechanisms for coffee tables?  I have looked at those from Woodtek, Lee Valley, Shelby, Woodworkers’ Supply  and Rockler. They range in price from about $50 to $250 with few getting reviews on the seller’s website. Any assistance you can offer will be appreciated.
(11-05-2017, 04:30 PM)Bill Lyman Wrote: Does anyone have experience with lift top mechanisms for coffee tables?  I have looked at those from Woodtek, Lee Valley, Shelby, Woodworkers’ Supply  and Rockler. They range in price from about $50 to $250 with few getting reviews on the seller’s website. Any assistance you can offer will be appreciated.

No experience with the commercial mechanisms; they all required a table too wide for the space I had.  So I made my own mechanism using wood and Rockler's Roto Hinges.  It wasn't hard and the cost was just the 8 Roto hinges and some scrap wood.   

[Image: HM9z6PyTYJAzjnG7mGo-ZTxBF8FJSXHlg4CF0S1i...00-h600-no]

The coffee table was one I had made 25 years earlier, so the retrofit is not as elegant as what it might be in a new build, but it works well.  There is a locking mechanism, too, so you can't close the top accidentally.  With the top closed it looks like it did before and the mechanism is completely hidden.  The table is only about 16" wide. 

[Image: nCVqcIDmXoDdoJ3NeTO7VzpjBXNunDDXDhYUdY6k...00-h600-no]

I did a prototype to figure out how long the wood pieces could be and assembled it with screws, so I could adjust things until it worked properly.  From that I made the final parts and used the Roto hinges.

John
I built this table 13 years ago for my Son, and I'm sure I looked at several different retail outlets as you have, however, often these types of low volume items are built by a single vendor and sold to any and all comers, who in turn charge what ever they think they can get for it.   So study the pics VERY carefully and go touch and feel first hand if possible before you spend your money.
[Image: coffee%20006-L.jpg]

As I remember, and the memory is getting foggy at this juncture, they were all the same just differing prices.

Mike
I was given a lift top table about 15 years ago. Prob best gift i have ever been given. I use it daily. Some day i will rebuild the top.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I bought one off Amazon for about $65 and it works well, but I'm using mine to elevate my desk top (so I can.stand while working). So mine is well anchored to a desk top that's not going to tip over like a coffee table could if there's too much weight on the leading edge.

One thing to.keep in mind with a lower priced model is that while the frame can hold a lot of weight, the springs are none too strong and you have to hold that weight yourself while lowering the top. The frame and springs do take some of the weight while lowering, but i would say they take not more than 1/3 of the weight off you while lifting or lowering the top.
Ray
Take a look at the recent Woodsmith Vol. 239 No. 232 the have a standing desk using regular hardware.  Maybe you could adapt it Dan
Thank you all for replying. I ended up purchasing a Selby XTPE287, Spring-Assisted Pop-Up Table Mechanism from Woodworker's Supply. If the project is successful, I will post photos.
https://woodworker.com/pop-up-table-mech...archmode=2