Pecan Live Edge Slab Dining Table
Finally completed the glue up for the base.  Even with extended set Titebond it was a very stressful glue up.  Eight curved legs with angled ends, 16 loose tenon joints.  But I am very pleased with how sturdy the base came out!  It's light and airy, but rock solid.  Just the 300-lb slab laying on the base it's essentially unmovable.

The table will seat 10-12, it's 9 feet long, 3-inches thick, 40-inches wide at one end and 32-inches wide at the other.  I'm ebonizing the poplar base jet black, and using black epoxy to fill the voids and cracks in the slab.

Attached Files Image(s)

(11-06-2017, 01:38 PM)Danny in Houston Wrote: Finally completed the glue up for the base.  Even with extended set Titebond it was a very stressful glue up.  Eight curved legs with angled ends, 16 loose tenon joints.  But I am very pleased with how sturdy the base came out!  It's light and airy, but rock solid.  Just the 300-lb slab laying on the base it's essentially unmovable.

The table will seat 10-12, it's 9 feet long, 3-inches thick, 40-inches wide at one end and 32-inches wide at the other.  I'm ebonizing the poplar base jet black, and using black epoxy to fill the voids and cracks in the slab.

That's one gorgeous table. I agree that the base has a kind of lightness that goes well with the heavy top. I like the curves. I also think the pecan looks lovely. Nice design, nice wood, nice execution.
Very excellent work and I love the bow ties connecting the crack.
3” thick is an “I’m not kidding” size, especially with pecan. You made it sing.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
I like it from it's bow ties, to it's waney edge, and that monster base. Great work. Pecan can be daunting, you kicked it's behindage.

Give us a follow up shot when you get the base all blacked. I know it's been a topic
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Now that is an impressive build!  Give us some details - joinery?  how is top attached?  other interesting stuff?
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
(11-06-2017, 06:25 PM)BaileyNo5 Wrote: Now that is an impressive build!  Give us some details - joinery?  how is top attached?  other interesting stuff?

I'll update when I get more time.  I did post something on the joinery here:

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=7334239

It was very difficult to get all of the angled M&T shoulders to line up with the angles on the base and support.  I used loose tenons, 1/2-inch thick on 1.5-inch curved legs.  Probably 200 fine-tune cuts shaving away the shoulders using my jig on the table saw.  Notice the wedge, I would slide the wedge between the stops on the jig slightly to change the angle of the curved legs.  

I will use hanger bolts to attach the base, using slots to account for wood movement.

Attached Files Image(s)

I am going to sell my complete shop and take up a new hobby.

No way can I call myself a woodworker after seeing stuff like this, and the recent rocking chair thread

I am a wood butcher at best compared to you guys

(11-06-2017, 08:04 PM)goaliedad Wrote: I am going to sell my complete shop and take up a new hobby.

No way can I call myself a woodworker after seeing stuff like this, and the recent rocking chair thread

I am a wood butcher at best compared to you guys

The world needs wood butchers too. Otherwise projects like this would be just routine.

Nice work on the table!
That is a beautiful table. You nailed it in every respect! Pecan is tough to work, so I'm even more impressed with your accomplishment. Can't wait to see the pics of the finished piece.