Porter Cable ROS not working properly
I'm refinishing a couple of table tops in order to sell the tables they go with, and I'm using my ROS and micro mesh disks to polish the finish up to a shine. What's been happening lately is I would turn the sander on and I noticed that it would spin WAY too slowly when on a surface. If I took it off the surface, it would start spinning faster and faster and I would soon have to turn it off for fear of what might happen if it continued to speed up. I tried re-positioning the small rubber belt that's behind the pad, and while that did fix the speeding problem, it's still not spinning at the speed it used to when I put it on a surface. What's going on? The sander is around 8-9 years old and still in good shape physically, so I don't want to have to buy a new ROS if I don't have to. How can I fix this issue? I need to get these tables sold. Thanks!
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
Replace the rubber band part you are talking about and you should be good to go.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

If it is this one, also available from DeWalley, and several others and you got 8 years you got 3 lifetimes in use, they break those bands you mentioned, but even replaced it's like a motor after the smoke genie comes out, just never the same. Sold for around 50 bux they were just replaceable junk. If you want to spend less, just buy an ABC brand from one of the big box stores, they will last the same, but cost less, or upgrade and get a bosch, or heaven forbid a festool. All of them are made in China it seems, and long life isn't an expectation.

[Image: porter-cable-disc-orbital-sanders-382-64_300.jpg]

I left my Bosch with a guy, and needed a sander right now. Bought this one at Menards, was on sale, and 11% off It is worth every penny of the asking price.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(11-06-2017, 06:52 PM)Steve N Wrote: If it is this one, also available from DeWalley, and several others and you got 8 years you got 3 lifetimes in use, they break those bands you mentioned, but even replaced it's like a motor after the smoke genie comes out, just never the same. Sold for around 50 bux they were just replaceable junk. If you want to spend less, just buy an ABC brand from one of the big box stores, they will last the same, but cost less, or upgrade and get a bosch, or heaven forbid a festool. All of them are made in China it seems, and long life isn't an expectation.

[Image: porter-cable-disc-orbital-sanders-382-64_300.jpg]

I left my Bosch with a guy, and needed a sander right now. Bought this one at Menards, was on sale, and 11% off It is worth every penny of the asking price.

Mine's the 343 5" model. It's completely grey down to the bottom. Also, the band isn't broken, it's still in tact. I think it's actually the original. Do they stretch or something? Can that cause the speed of the pad not to vary when placed on a surface? I guess I could try getting a new one. It doesn't need to be perfect. However, at some point a Bosch sander sounds nice. I have a belt sander by them and it's VERY heavy duty.
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
with my dewalt, it was a plastic disk that seems to serve as a clutch. Not what I was expecting. Replacing it was going to cost at least half of a new sander, so I gave up on it.  Need to get the carcass to a metal recycler.
I've had my 382, that looks like those in the pic, for 4 years now. I bought it to replace its predecessor which was a 10 year veteran. It's been several years now since they were first bought, and thankfully most of my PC tools predate that event.
I just had a 330 Repaired and the lady checking me out said that this was likely the last time as they are stocking out of many parts.
Watch your fingers!!

(11-07-2017, 01:59 AM)EricU Wrote: with my dewalt, it was a plastic disk that seems to serve as a clutch. Not what I was expecting. Replacing it was going to cost at least half of a new sander, so I gave up on it.  Need to get the carcass to a metal recycler.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/dust-s...34smajh6t0   $6.69...
(11-06-2017, 06:26 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: I'm refinishing a couple of table tops in order to sell the tables they go with, and I'm using my ROS and micro mesh disks to polish the finish up to a shine. What's been happening lately is I would turn the sander on and I noticed that it would spin WAY too slowly when on a surface. If I took it off the surface, it would start spinning faster and faster and I would soon have to turn it off for fear of what might happen if it continued to speed up. I tried re-positioning the small rubber belt that's behind the pad, and while that did fix the speeding problem, it's still not spinning at the speed it used to when I put it on a surface. What's going on? The sander is around 8-9 years old and still in good shape physically, so I don't want to have to buy a new ROS if I don't have to. How can I fix this issue? I need to get these tables sold. Thanks!

It is the belt/rubber band item.  I have the exact same issue with my PC333 sander.  I ordered the belts from the same place another poster in this thread provided a link to.  I think they came in a bag of three (or maybe I just ordered three).  The original wore out, far sooner than I would have expected considering the relatively light use it gets. 

Easy enough to change.  I've used one replacement belt.  When I go through the remaining two I'll sell the PC and get a Bosch.  I've been underwhelmed with all my PC tools.

Mike
(11-07-2017, 09:11 AM)jlanciani Wrote: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/dust-s...34smajh6t0   $6.69...

thanks, that link reminded me I was going to buy a pad at the same time, which inflated the cost.  I don't think I really need one.  Now if their search worked properly to find parts for my oven, I could sneak the ROS parts in there without detection.