Calibrating Miter Gauge Woes?
(11-07-2017, 11:21 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I have an Incra 1000SE that I love.  It's close *enough* when it comes to 90* cuts.  But it's off *just enough* that 45* doesn't work--on my latest test cuts, a frame with 25" sides (2.25" wide) *almost* closes completely.  But off enough for me to notice.

Do you just calibrate, test, calibrate, test, wash, rinse, repeat until it works?  I'm getting frustrated here.

I'm using a Woodpecker square to align it to the blade at 90*.  I'm contemplating buying a triangle to set the 45*.  Has anybody done this?  Do you have a supplier you'd recommend?

I'm also thinking of asking for another 1000SE for Christmas that I'll just leave set at 45*!

Laugh
I made a hardwood jig to hold a cheap Chinese dial indicator..it rides snugly in the slot..I align my blade to the slot with my dial indicator, then use a drafting triangle to align the miter gauge to the slot..I also align the rip fence using this dial indicator.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(11-10-2017, 12:55 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: What was your previous clamping method?

Phil,

I have an old set of Craftsman picture frame clamps.

https://www.terapeak.com/worth/3-craftsm...042049806/
Semper fi,
Brad

(11-13-2017, 10:16 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Phil,

I have an old set of Craftsman picture frame clamps.

https://www.terapeak.com/worth/3-craftsm...042049806/

Oh, I have used those in my youth.  I did struggle with getting joints to close with them.  It was a bit like whack-a-mole.
Yup.

This Merle clamp, though...

I love it.
Semper fi,
Brad

(11-13-2017, 01:28 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Yup.

This Merle clamp, though...

I love it.

I use four corner blocks (plywood), and I use a piece of thin rope and a trucker's knot to snug it up.

Not fancy, but it seems to work.
Oh yeah, that's the same thing. I didn't realize I could fab one up until I had this one in hand.

*shrugs*
Semper fi,
Brad